Cellular iPad owners, are you using the same carrier as your iPhone

1. chris

chris Administrator Administrator

I've been looking at plans for the iPad. Right now, I'm with AT&T for my iPhone 5. Although I have an 'unlimited' plan, I was thinking that maybe the mobile share plan would be a cost effective plan to get a cellular iPad on board. I have to acquire that cellular iPad first, but that's nothing that a return/order won't solve.

All things being equal, I'd prefer Verizon as my iPad carrier, but then I would move to a pay as I go plan. If I can bundle cellular with AT&T on a mobile share, I might be more apt to actually use the cellular on my iPad.

Thoughts? Anyone have both and what is your carrier arrangement?

2. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

I have AT&T for cellular and home Internet so I am sticking with AT&T for my mini LTE.. I already pre-ordered the AT&T LTE mini and will return my wifi only mini once it arrives.

Not sure if I will change to a shared data plan or just keep the mini on a pay as you go plan yet.

I won't use LTE on the mini very often and I am almost always around wifi so I am thinking I might just go with the $15 pay as you go plan for now and see where I am at in a few months..

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius Gold

I use AT&T for both, though not on any sort of combined plan. My iPhone 4S is on a family plan with my wife and my daughter's phones as well. My iPad is currently on a monthly small data plan.

5. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist Gold

I have AT&T for my iPhone because I like being able to talk and text. I have Verizon with my iPad because 1) AT&T didn't have LTE available where I live when I purchased it and 2) AT&T LTE is spotty since I live 15-20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. Since they have gone live with LTE and I purchased my iPhone 5, my phone's battery life is not great with LTE enabled. My theory is that this is due to a constant connect/disconnect of my phone to LTE vs 4G.

6. chris

chris Administrator Administrator

I think that would still be cheaper than moving to Monthly Share. We don't use a ton of data, probably due to working from home and using WiFi. I don't like how the cost of device is very high for lower data plans. They almost push you into a 6GB plan.

The only plus for me would be AT&T almost forcing me to get a smartphone for my parents. It's $30 for a regular phone and $35 for a smartphone. No brainer.

I have a feeling that if I jumped for an LTE iPad and wasn't in a plan, I'd rarely take the time & money to sign up pay as you go. The "always play it cautious and get the most features" aspect of my personality is pushing me towards a 4G LTE iPad.

7. Geo

Geo Member Bronze

If you are not really using the cel network on your iPad, why spend the extra dough? ATT don't need it for you? Will WiFi be enough? You are right about how they almost push you into a 6GB plan!

I know you may need the LTE for testing for us here at everythingicafe, and we do appreciate it.

I have ATT for my phone and am very happy with it by the way. (Even in NY/NJ I don't remember losing signals or anything.) If I want an iPad LTE on my 'unlimited plan" am I forced to change plans?

By the way Chris did you get an WiFi iPad4 with 64gb? (sorry, but it has been a while since popped in here to read some postings.) I think you were opting that way previously?

8. Dre180

Dre180 Member Bronze

Ive had both carriers. I'm on Long Island as well. Verizon has the better lte coverage right now hands down, and its not even comparable. I will say, i was shocked how fast verizon is. i didn't believe the hype initially but it is pretty damn fast...I am impressed! The reason I'm recommending them over AT&T is so you can hang on to you're unlimited plan (even though it semi capped). They desperately want you to move into tiered data..DON'T DO IT! Unless of course it saves you money and you truly don't need it.

I also agree with Geo. if you don't need it don't get it. I'm sticking with my wifi equipped ipad. For the times I need data when I'm out (which like you won't be very frequent), I will simply tether..

9. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot Gold

I have been considering moving to a shared plan as well. Is tethering an option with the latest AT&T plans? I have the iPhone 4s, cellular iPad2 and the iPad 4. I would get the iPhone 5 as a second number to make this jump. I really don't use the cellular plan on my iPad as I am generally around wifi when needed. If I could tether without a jb I would sell my iPad2..maybe.

10. nealh

nealh Member Silver

On an AT&T mobile share plan you can use your iPhone as a hotspot and save on the cellular version and iPad cost

I have the 6gb share plan with3 iPhones and 2 iPads. I think it's a great deal. I may drop one of the iPads as my wife never seems to use the cell. feature.

I live on Tampa and LTE works great here.

11. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot Gold

I researched AT&T share plans. a 4gb plan is $70/month plus $40 for each smartphone. My bill would be way over $150 with all the added taxes and fees. Too rich for my blood. Think I would be better off jb'ing my cellular iPad and the paying an ocassional monthly data or per use fee. No contract commitments using that method.