Certain tattoos can interfere with the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rafagon, May 1, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Certain tattoos can prevent the heart rate sensor in the Apple Watch from obtaining accurate readings.

Apple's exact wording: "Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings."

If you're about to get a tattoo and are also about to get an Apple Watch, you may want to get the latter first, then plan the former around it.

It's too late for this guy:

t.jpg

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

LOL, but there's some with lots of tats on their arms/wrists reporting no issues. None actually that I've heard about.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

4. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

No Apple Watch for me then. I'm not really sure how I will go on in life knowing I can't get my heart rate to work on the Apple Watch. I may have to opt for laser removal :eek:. It only took the guy on Prison Break one episode to get his sleeves, back and chest lasered off ;). It might take me about 137 sessions. I can change my name to Formerly Tattooed Alex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This friend of mine had no issues at all.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430566588.565239.jpg

Also, the Watch is capable of Bluetooth pairing to chest strap heart rate monitors via Bluetooth for those who have issues using the Watch's built-in sensor... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Great news, so now you're telling me it will work so I have to buy the Apple Watch ;). Well that will save a ton of $ for laser removal. I'm still not quite convinced that I need one yet.