Certain tattoos can interfere with the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Certain tattoos can prevent the heart rate sensor in the Apple Watch from obtaining accurate readings.

Apple's exact wording: "Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings."

If you're about to get a tattoo and are also about to get an Apple Watch, you may want to get the latter first, then plan the former around it.

It's too late for this guy:

t.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Certain tattoos can prevent the heart rate sensor in the Apple Watch from obtaining accurate readings.

Apple's exact wording: "Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings."

If you're about to get a tattoo and are also about to get an Apple Watch, you may want to get the latter first, then plan the former around it.

It's too late for this guy:

View attachment 41482
LOL, but there's some with lots of tats on their arms/wrists reporting no issues. None actually that I've heard about.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
No Apple Watch for me then. I'm not really sure how I will go on in life knowing I can't get my heart rate to work on the Apple Watch. I may have to opt for laser removal :eek:. It only took the guy on Prison Break one episode to get his sleeves, back and chest lasered off ;). It might take me about 137 sessions. I can change my name to Formerly Tattooed Alex.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
No Apple Watch for me then. I'm not really sure how I will go on in life knowing I can't get my heart rate to work on the Apple Watch. I may have to opt for laser removal :eek:. It only took the guy on Prison Break one episode to get his sleeves, back and chest lasered off ;). It might take me about 137 sessions. I can change my name to Formerly Tattooed Alex.
This friend of mine had no issues at all.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430566588.565239.jpg

Also, the Watch is capable of Bluetooth pairing to chest strap heart rate monitors via Bluetooth for those who have issues using the Watch's built-in sensor... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
This friend of mine had no issues at all.
View attachment 41487

Also, the Watch is capable of Bluetooth pairing to chest strap heart rate monitors via Bluetooth for those who have issues using the Watch's built-in sensor... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

Great news, so now you're telling me it will work so I have to buy the Apple Watch ;). Well that will save a ton of $ for laser removal. I'm still not quite convinced that I need one yet.