CES 2015

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is taking place January 6th through January 9th, 2015. If you spot an interesting piece of technology via the event's wide media coverage, post about it here. And if you are lucky enough to be there in person, then, by all means, have the decency and the humanity to share photos (or footage!) with those of us who couldn't make it there this year. :D

Speaking of, Parrot unveiled its RNB6 In-Dash Entertainment System at CES. It supports Apple's CarPlay and Siri Eyes Free standards (and also the competitor's product). Parrot's RNB6 sports a 7-inch 720p touchscreen.

DomePatrol

Dec 11, 2013
Slidell, La
I read about the Audi that can drive itself this morning. It drove itself from San Francisco to Las Vegas. I've heard about the car that drives itself and how it was supposed to be coming soon. I can't seem to be able to post a link yet, but just Google "car drives itself to CES" and a number of articles come up.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The new Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 was just introduced at CES. It comes with 128 GB of onboard storage, a microSD slot, and what Gizmodo describes as "a lovely-looking touchscreen display." This incredibly gorgeous Walkman has just become, without a doubt, the pièce de résistance of all portable media players (e.g., iPhone, iPod Touch, and the now-defunct Microsoft Zune family of players).

This Walkman plays high-resolution audio in formats such as DSD, WAV, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless, and more. But where can you buy this high-resolution music? Not at iTunes, at least not yet (high-resolution music may be on the horizon for iTunes; then again, maybe not very soon).

This article lists some sites where you can purchase high-resolution music right now. And in case you're not yet familiar with high-resolution audio (AKA high-definition audio), you can learn all about it right here. Basically, it's the discless equivalent of Super Audio CD (SACD) or DVD-Audio. And we all know how successful those formats were. :D

The Verge had a chance to spend some quality time with Sony's new NW-ZX2. Here's a video where you can watch, admire, and drool over it:

Oh, yeah, then there's one last little tidbit. The price. The NW-ZX2 will cost over $1,119.99, according to The Verge.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Saygus' new V² smartphone doesn't skimp on specs. I feel Cook and Ive could learn a thing or two from them.

V2-Trio.png (click to enlarge)

screen - 5-inch 1920 x 1080 display (445 ppi), Corning Gorilla Glass 4
processor - Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 GHz
OS - Android 4.4.4
size - 67mm x 137mm x 9.7mm
weight - 5 ounces (141g)
rear camera - 21MP with OIS, dual flash
front camera - 13MP with OIS
RAM - 3GB
Storage - 64GB on-board, 2x microSD card
Wi-Fi - 802.11 ac
Bluetooth - 4.0
Audio - Stereo Speakers, Harman Kardon Sound Technology w/ 3D Audio
Battery - 3100 mAh removable, Qi charging
Misc - Kevlar back, biometric fingerprint scanner, NFC

Click here for full specs

Last edited:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
One thing about specs, though. My dual-core, 1.4 Ghz Plus outperforms my quad-core, 2.5 Ghz OnePlus One in CPU tests. My 8 megapixel Plus outperforms the 13 megapixel camera on my OnePlus One.

This isn't an indictment of my OnePlus One; I'm just saying that specs on paper should be taken with a grain of salt. Software has a lot to do with it as well.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apple does know how to get really good results out of its usually less powerful parts. I can imagine they could do some wonderful things if their iPhone soup had beefier ingredients. But they will stick to the minimum so that they can maximize their profits and make their iPhone as skinny as possible. Lord forbid they would have to add 1.5 mm to the width to get four extra hours of web surfing battery life!

The one time they did surprise me was by being the first to go 64-bit.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Apple does know how to get really good results out of its usually less powerful parts. I can imagine they could do some wonderful things if their iPhone soup had beefier ingredients. But they will stick to the minimum so that they can maximize their profits and make their iPhone as skinny as possible. Lord forbid they would have to add 1.5 mm to the width to get four extra hours of web surfing battery life!

The one time they did surprise me was by being the first to go 64-bit.
I get great battery life from my Plus.