Chance of wireless charging for iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by hmfc-1874, Nov 27, 2013.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Do you think one of the features with the new iPhone 6 will be wireless charging. I think this would be a great feature !

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would definitely love that all day every day! :)

As far as it being a feature or something we can separately buy through Apple, I have no idea. I believe there are 3rd party ones, but who wants those?

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

IMHO, "wireless charging" is not [yet] truly wireless. While, technically, yes, there is no actual wire involved, the way "wireless charging" is implemented at this point in time, you have to lay the device you're going to charge on a pad. This pad is of finite, usually small dimensions; you can't toss the phone at it from ten feet away. How is this so different from using a dock?

Sure, you can basically drop the phone somewhat carelessly on a charging pad as opposed to carefuly inserting it into the connector of a dock... but, seriously, how much trouble is it to insert it into a dock? Unless your blood alcohol level is through the roof, you should have no trouble inserting the phone into the dock's connector.

Give me 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, where the "ac" also stands for "alternating current," and I will be all over it.

4. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Personally I don't see a point or a use for such a thing. It would also make charging the device while on the move rather hard (such as having the phone plugged in while driving).

They also just only started using the lightning connector, I doubt they're going to write it off so quickly.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've never understood this, either. You still have to pick up the phone to use it, right?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm unsure if you have to pick up the phone to actually use it. Maybe not. But my dad has a charging pad for his Galaxy phone. It's awesome!

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I normally pick up my phone to use it. Maybe it's just me.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Nope, it's not just you. I do the same lol.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I actually may be confusing wireless charging with something else.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I thought of wireless charging as a pad. But now that I read it back, they say a feature. How can there be a feature of wireless charging?

11. MattR

MattR Guest

I agree, it's definitely a great future feature.

But it is actually currently available, and coincidentally there's actually a campaign running to fund this precise piece of kit. It's called the iQi Mobile.

Invest $65 and you'll receive a charging station, and a tiny charger you plug into the lightning port of your iPhone 5, 5S or 5C and pop almost ANY soft case you like on!

Gently rest the iPhone on the charging station and you're away...

You can invest right now here... (No I haven't broken the rules with a URL as I have 11 posts. Nor do I work for iQi.)

#11 MattR, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You seem pretty excited about it over on Cult of Mac as well.

#12 Napoleon PhoneApart, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  13. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I used wireless charging on a Palm Pre and found it both cool and convenient. I also used wireless charging pads on my Lumia 928 and found it to be a great feature. What I'd like even more, however, is a charging cradle/desktop stand like I had on some of my BlackBerrys.

With wireless charging you need a slightly thicker phone to accommodate the hardware and I doubt Apple will ever compromise on design to add such a feature. But two contact points on the back of the phone, flush with the back case, would be a simple addition. And a desktop stand holds the phone upright for viewing while charging. And it's nice to simply snatch up your phone when you leave the room.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Link182kiddd

Link182kiddd New Member

Would be a beautiful feature to have. Fingers are very tightly crossed...:p

Sent using iPhone 5 Black 32GB

15. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Give us better battery life and it will help get rid of charging!

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Laying your phone on some kind of a pad to charge it sounds like a cool idea on the surface. However, I think it is more gimmick than great new feature. I keep a charging kit for my iPhone 5 in each of my vehicles and in my suitcase so I can stay somewhere overnight and not worry about remembering ahead of time to bring a charger and cord or 12 volt adapter plug with me. That got kind of expensive with the iPhone 5 and its Lightening connector. Wireless charging? No thanks, I'll just plug it in like always. I'm lazy but not that lazy.

17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The iPhone's Lightening port is pretty sturdy, but plenty of other phones are not so robust. HTC has had some nightmares with the design of the micro-USB ports on some models. Anything that saves the wear and tear of plugging in looks like a good thing to me. And once you get a taste you realize it's a nice (not necessary, but nice) convenience. It's elegant.

18. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

That would be awesome! Usually when I'm sleeping and need to check the time, I grab my nexus 5 because I don't have to worry about fiddling with the cord to plug it back in.

Nexus5/iPhone5s

19. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

When I was using my Lumia 928 I'd be lying in bed and just before I dozed off I'd hear my text message alert. Nice to just roll over and pick the phone up, not having to unplug it. I had a Qi charging base on my desk, another next to the tv, and a 3rd on my nightstand.