Change Apple server update address?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by rollinfromhell, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

How do I do that on windows 7?

I'm trying to preserve my 4.0 baseband i'm updating from 4.0 to 5.0.1

#1 rollinfromhell, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

3. rollinfromhell

Gold

nah, i am trying to edit my hostfile so i can update to 5.0.1 and keep on my 4.0 baseband. i know how to get in there, just stuck on what address to put. im finding one to put in from google but iTunes just keeps writing a new one over it. i just hit restore all settings and data and now its kinda stuck and keeps going back to the Apple logo. i was jailbroken, help!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are a few ways to do it. I think the easiest way is to install TinyUmbrella and select Set hosts to cydia, click Apply changes and close TinyUmbrella. Then you can use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode when you're done restoring. The 5.o.1 signing window has already closed. Do you have an SHSH for it?

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

i don't know.. i have my shsh's saved for 4.0 and it says up to 4.2 in tiny umbrella. but i have never been on 5.0.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Dang it... Why do I always forget about Tiny umbrella? :(

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It doesn't matter if you ever installed 5.x. It only matters if you have that SHSH backed up in Cydia. The SHSH's are listed at the top of the screen on the home page in Cydia.

8. rollinfromhell

Gold

can't get into Cydia... phone is in a constant reboot cycle now and wont get past the Apple logo. can't restore it without updating it, i know theres a way around it to get back to 4.0 at least without updating the baseband but don't know how. i have it saved in TSS on my computer. Tiny umbrella.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thread moved to iPhone Unlock.

Yeah, since you know you have a 4.0 SHSH you can restore to that. You don't need to preserve the baseband since that's the same one that's currently on the phone. First download the 4.0 ipsw. I'll post the link below. Do not use Internet Explorer. It saves it as the wrong file type. After it's downloaded, hit the shift key (option key on Mac) and then the restore button in iTunes. Then browse for the ipsw file and restore. If you get error 3194, your hosts file is wrong and you'll need to follow my directions in post #5. If it goes through, the restore will complete but end with error 10xx. This is expected. You'll need to use Fix Recovery or Exit Recovery to kick it out of recovery mode. Then you can jailbreak, hacktivate and unlock.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

10. rollinfromhell

Gold

Thanks so much Europa I appreciate the help and the thread move. Will report back!