Change iCloud Apple ID without losing contacts, saved games

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Kobel1up, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I have looked for my answer on bing and did a quick search here. I didn't get my answer and am now turning to a thread. Some time ago I wanted to allow my wife to link here iCloud with mine because I had purchased the extra storage. I read on Apple how to do it, and followed the directions and thats where my problems started. Somehow it changed here Apple id and the icloud to mine, I changed it back but it will come back any time I do a back up. I have even tried a full restore from a old backup, and it will still make her phone like mine.

Can someone help me get her back to her own Apple id and icloud without her loosing all her saved things? Thanks in advance. I bet its something simple, but like I said I don't want her to loose any of her saved things.

2. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Just to make this clear, she just doesn't want to lose her saved games and apps and contacts to still be on her phone. She hasn't bought any apps or music so that won't play into the situation.

3. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

If I am correct, you added your iCloud email address to your wife's iCloud account and now you are trying to unlink the two. Unlinking an email address from an iCloud account is unfortunately not possible. In your case, unlinking the two accounts is a no-go.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

On her phone, she needs to log out of iCloud and log out of iTunes and the App Store. Then she needs log into the App Store using her old Apple ID (the one she's always used for purchases). Next she needs to create an iCloud account on her phone if she doesn't already have her own. Now all she needs to do is log into iCloud with the new account and do a backup. No data will be lost.

The only downside to this is that she will be logged her phone with two accounts, but it's perfectly fine and I've been doing it this way for years (since back when iCloud was MobileMe). When she sets up future iPhones, she just needs to skip "use iCloud" on the set up screen and log into the App Store and iCloud individually with the two separate accounts. In my opinion, it's best for couples to share an Apple ID for the App Store and iTunes and use their own iCloud account for iCloud (only one of the two will have two accounts). It's unlikely that you would need extra storage if you do iCloud backups individually, plus most people want their notes, bookmarks and contacts to be individual.

The pro to this method is almost no one would need paid storage space in iCloud. Apple is making a killing off off it and most of the people who buy it don't even need it (they could save $20+ a year by using the above method). They can still share apps and music with family members with the primary account and then get individual iCloud accounts. Even those who have three iDevices of their own don't really need to pay for iCloud storage. They can just back one of the three up in iTunes instead of iCloud. You can still be logged into iCloud and have contacts, bookmarks, etc. sync across the three devices - you just would have the third device backing up in iTunes instead of iCloud.