Change of app name in App Store

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thelaw

Jul 12, 2010
New York City!
Hi guys. Just got myself a MacBook Pro and iPad to continue our app development and our new app (4.5 stars) was finally approved today in the AppStore - very exciting. It took way too long for it to be released from the old version. The first was called The Law Guide and we renamed it to Law Dictionary & Guide. It had an unexpected consequence and I'm not sure if there is a long term issue. Apple apparently names the URLs for apps based upon the name, not just the App ID. So when we renamed the App, the URL actually changed. So all the old URLs are pointing to the old app URL which apparently Apple may not update or redirect to the current version. I'm not sure.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? In addition, I'm not sure if this is just normal behavior after a new release. I see the new app version online. When I go to the app store, it shows the old version. You download it and soon after it shows that an update is available to the new version. I'm guessing some have done this since I already received a comment for the send to a friend function. I didn't want to drop links and hope it's OK - I've been a member here for a long time (I think my prior screen name didn't work) and I don't need the links to the app, which most find from our site or the app store. Thanks for anyone who can help with the confusion.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I had a similar situation, but trying to recall how I handled it. The URL for the app changed, that I know. Let me see if I can dig up the old URL, see if it resolves to the new app.

This was technically an update to an existing app, correct?

thelaw

Jul 12, 2010
New York City!
Yep and thanks for looking this over, Chris. The Law Guide 2 ( https ://itunes.apple .com/us/app/the-law-guide/id382017848?mt=8 _ did extremely well for the past few years until iOS7 took it down. We have many links from existing pages back to that page. I decided that since most downloaded it for the law dictionary portion (lots of legal terms), I thought it made sense to name it like the Android version so Law Dictionary & Guide 3 ( https ://itunes.apple. com/us/app/law-dictionary-guide/id382017848?ls=1&mt=8) was renamed and now has a new URL. You can imagine my surprise when I was checking links on our site and instead of seeing the page approved today, I found the old page still live. You can see how Apple puts the app title - the current one - into the URL along with the app ID. Not sure what to do here!

thelaw

Jul 12, 2010
New York City!
Learn new things every day.

Apparently if you wait about 12 hours, Apple will update both pages so that there is an alias from the old page to the new one. Very cool! So now you don't lose all the backlinks to the old page and frustrated people who would have received either an outdated app page or none at all. Great news.

thelaw

Jul 12, 2010
New York City!
Thanks Chris - so far so good!

I also learned another new tidbit of info that I'll pass along. If you've got a minor issue with your app that causes it to get rejected, absolutely request an expedited review from Apple if release time is important. We did and the app is thankfully now live and doing well - both redirects. Our "pro" version which is enhanced had a very minor technical issue that Apple decided to ping back to us. After resubmission it took a week for it to be approved - which we weren't rushed but had already been given a one time expedited review for the free app. Interesting learning experience this time and hopefully others will benefit from the info.