Change Part II: Welcome to the new everythingiCafe

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
During the latter part of 2010, we indicated that members could expect change on January 1st, 2011. On the first of the year we announced that our forums would be ad-free for members. While most forums look for ways to increase the amount of ads they can show, we reduced ads to zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. This benefit extended to our free application, which is available in the App Store. This was an example of a positive change, unless of course you have an odd obsession with ads. Today, I'd like announce the second part of that change equation.

Sometime in the next few weeks, everythingiCafe will undergo major changes. It will forever change your experience at eiC. I like to call it the new everythingiCafe, but in many ways it will be the same everythingiCafe that you know and love. Now, we've made changes in the past that didn't pan out so well. We have learned from past mistakes and hope this will be different. Over the past few months, we performed beta testing with a number of our members. The response was overwhelmingly positive. There has been extensive work behind the scenes to work through every detail in an attempt to refine the experience. When I say details, I mean every detail. To a pixel, this was created to provide an unparalleled experience.

For those unfamiliar with our history, we were the first iPhone forum, launched over 7 months before Steve Jobs announced the iPhone. The forum created in May of 2006 has successfuly transitioned to a community. It's the only site I'm aware of that members take the time to post in-depth reveals that provide others with very personal aspects of their life. When you combine this with the wealth of knowledge and topics relative to iOS devices, it's what sets this site apart from the others.

We need software that truly reflects and empowers members of this community. After months of preparation, we're almost ready to move the community in a new and exciting direction. Change will come in the form of entirely new forum software.

It's certainly understandable that some are happy with the current forum. It's familiar, like an old pair of blue jeans. For this reason, it would be unfair to simply flick the switch and expect everyone to fall in love with the new everythingiCafe. To help ease the transition, you can expect a series of screencasts that will showcase some of what we've been working on for the past few months. You'll get a glimpse of what you can expect along with some easy tutorials on the changes. While we want the transition to be smooth, there are always bumps in the road, despite the efforts taken to prevent this from happening. If you have any questions, please use the Site Feedback and Help forums. We'll do our best to help out. This post will serve as a continiously updated FAQ (links will be added once new topics/screencasts are live) regarding the changes. Keep an eye on the Site Feedback section, as we'll be posting screencasts regularly over the next few days and weeks. Consider these FAQ's/screencasts as breakout topics, where you can use the specific topic to ask questions regarding that particular feature. This will prevent this from being one giant thread, which can make if difficult to find answers to a specific question.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for their support of everythingiCafe. Members, moderators and guests. I greatly appreciate that you take time out of your day to visit and contribute to the community. Ultimately, it's you that makes this community awesome and I cannot thank you enough.

-Chris

Last edited:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Chris,
Thanks for all your hard work that has succeeded in making this site a daily habit for me and for so many others.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Wow! This is a huge! So excited, but I will have to figure out what to do during the downtime.

Thanks for it all!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Wow! This is a huge! So excited, but I will have to figure out what to do during the downtime.

Thanks for it all!
In the past, Chris has been very good with forum migration. I estimate the downtime to be minimul.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Sounds good Chris! You've got a great site here and we really appreciate it and you.

Sent from my iCafe using iPhone app

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Can't wait. Thank you Chris for creating this site, I know I have made some new friends that I enjoy interacting with on a daily basis. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Man, I remember trying to make my RAZR white and apple-esque from info I got in a magazine article on making your cell phone an Apple phone. I googled Apple phone and found this site, way back in '07. Been a member ever since. Change is good, and I can't wait to see what's coming.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Man, I remember trying to make my RAZR white and apple-esque from info I got in a magazine article on making your cell phone an Apple phone. I googled Apple phone and found this site, way back in '07. Been a member ever since. Change is good, and I can't wait to see what's coming.
I was a late joiner... nearly a year after you joined.

The new site is going to be awesome! I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
The new eiC will best be described with two words: BONUS LEVEL!

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Awesome .... Thanks Chris for spoiling us! I really appreciate it and I am so excited and I can't wait to the end of the month!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Shouldn't be long now :p

The apps are brilliant and the new site just looks awesome!

Fun times ahead.

Sep 6, 2010
Hey Chris, I have an awesome suggestion for the big move. Leave "all" the history that is on this old server behind when you move to the new server, such as outdated infractions. This will free up some bandwidth on your new server, and allow it to run faster.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
By far the best looking forum out there! (y) Sleek, intuitive, and fun! And not to mention a much better point system that actually gives more accurate credit to "status/title". Excellent job Chris & Team! :cool:

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Loving the new design. Very clean and professional.

Not sure why it says "Darxun Games" instead of "besweeet"...

Also, most of my settings were gone (profile, signature, etc).

Also also, I had to login with my email instead of my username.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Loving the new design. Very clean and professional.

Not sure why it says "Darxun Games" instead of "besweeet"...

Also, most of my settings were gone (profile, signature, etc).

Also also, I had to login with my email instead of my username.
Let me take a look and see if I can fix it.