Change Part II: Welcome to the new everythingiCafe

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
^ I was just about to ask for this as well. However, any chance it could go higher than 15? :) Or be a user-customizable setting like it was before (I had it set to show me 40 threads per page, I think).
There are no options available now for a user preferred setting. I've upped the limit to 20, which affects new posts and posts within a thread/topic view. Standard on most forums is around 25.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Con: I like the minimalism near the users avatar and user name, but I enjoyed seeing how many posts that person has within EIC.
Click on their avatar :) Or did you just prefer to see it right there under their avatar? I like the popup better myself. :D

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
I'm not really a fan of having to hover over a thread to see how many pages of replies it has. Just IMO, it's a lot easier to scan down the page the way it was before, and see which thread is busy by how many pages it's got. I don't know, it just seems anti-intuitive to have to go down the page and hover over ever thread title to see how many pages it's got?

I'd also like to see user post count, the way it was before. Helps to get to know who's a regular here and who isn't, ect :)

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
btw, i don't even want to know how much this stuff has costs admins (new graphics, new category bar up top). This is by far the slickest forum I am a member of. Thanks for the clean ad-free site EIC!
This is not your typical cheapo vBulletin forum lol.
Just FYI, Vbulletin is FAR from cheap. I actually enjoy vbulletin forums, and from both an admin and member perspective (I've admined a few vb boards), VB offers way more in the way of customization (posts per pages, the way replies are ordered, ect) than any other forum I know.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Wow it looks really good Chris! This is the best looking update so far. But I agree with lionqueen in that some of the changes are form over function. This is the first day I have seen the changes so maybe I'll get used to it after I use it more.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Chris- dude! How did you get the Jailbrake forums into the app? Awesome! I love it just don't know how you got the mother ship to approve it!? You da Man!

p.s. In the app, I can't get my signature to show up (sent from my iPhone....etc.) I went to my settings and it's turned on? Thanks.

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
Is there a site map that lists all the available fora on one page, with links? I coulda sweared I done seen one, but I can't find it now. My habit for browsing any forum (and the web in general) is to leave the main forum page open, and open/close the subforums/threads in separate tabs.

I also agree with showing members' post counts near the avatar. Makes it easier to sniff out spammers. :)

Overall, a really sweet upgrade, Chris. I look forward to seeing what else comes of it as you tinker.

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
Is there a site map that lists all the available fora on one page, with links? I coulda sweared I done seen one, but I can't find it now. My habit for browsing any forum (and the web in general) is to leave the main forum page open, and open/close the subforums/threads in separate tabs.

I also agree with showing members' post counts near the avatar. Makes it easier to sniff out spammers. :)

Overall, a really sweet upgrade, Chris. I look forward to seeing what else comes of it as you tinker.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
That only shows the main forums, not the subforums. Thanks, though. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That only shows the main forums, not the subforums. Thanks, though. :)
There are drop down menus where there are sub forums. The move to subforums allows us to organize categories more efficiently and reduce the height of the page. The trouble with some forums (including our previous forum) becomes the scrolling involved. My personal opinion is that it's the reason why some people post in the wrong category. By creating a tree organization of categories, it encourages readers to drill down, making it more likely that they will post in the appropriate category.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
One thing I miss (or haven't found yet) is a "go to first unread post" button on the "front" page of forum/subforum titles. I seem to have to open a subforum to locate the "go to first unread post" button at the end of the first page. Previously, in the what's new search list, there was an icon/button that would take you to where you last read a post. Am I making sense?

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
One thing I miss (or haven't found yet) is a "go to first unread post" button on the "front" page of forum/subforum titles. I seem to have to open a subforum to locate the "go to first unread post" button at the end of the first page. Previously, in the what's new search list, there was an icon/button that would take you to where you last read a post. Am I making sense?
You can still do that by clicking the little blue dot icon. (y) (to the left of the thread title)

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
There are drop down menus where there are sub forums. The move to subforums allows us to organize categories more efficiently and reduce the height of the page. The trouble with some forums (including our previous forum) becomes the scrolling involved. My personal opinion is that it's the reason why some people post in the wrong category. By creating a tree organization of categories, it encourages readers to drill down, making it more likely that they will post in the appropriate category.
Well, just because I understand the reasons doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Hmmph! And get cracking on that list of smileys...I need a big, pouty crybaby one RIGHT NOW.

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
If I didn't think my dog would bite me, I'd change my avatar. :)

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I'd like to know how many posts people have and when they joined as well. Having to click on each member's name just to know their history is counterintuitive. It lists me as a new member and I've been a member since 2007 lol.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd like to know how many posts people have and when they joined as well. Having to click on each member's name just to know their history is counterintuitive. It lists me as a new member and I've been a member since 2007 lol.
The site runs a query each night, which updates user ranks based on our new trophy system. A user has to login for it to update. So, if you come back tomorrow (and I hope you do), you'll see an updated rank. This affects all users the first time they hit the new site.

Last edited:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Exciting. This is becoming more like StackOverflow (which I like).

Sep 6, 2010
I've been away from eiC for a few weeks so I missed the upgrade. Just wanted to say that Chris did a nice job with moving everything to the new servers. I like the way the site looks now as it sets this forum apart from all the rest.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.