Change "Safari" to say "Internet"?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Usually for any other program you just change the name of the folder in the Applications directory and it will change the display name on your homescreen, but this folder is called "MobileSafari" and changing it does nothing. Does anyone know the trick?

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Use ssh. On a Mac, this is how I accomplished this using Cyberduck. I also used Pref Setter.

Path:

System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

Drag (copy) "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" to the desktop and rename the ".strings" to ".plist"

Launch Pref Setter.

Change the name as it appears under "Value" column.

Quit Pref Setter and save.

Change the ".plist" back to "strings"

Drag the modified "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" replacing the "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" in Cyberduck.

Restart iPhone.

Attachments

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Use ssh. On a Mac, this is how I accomplished this using Cyberduck. I also used Pref Setter.

Path:

System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

Drag (copy) "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" to the desktop and rename the ".strings" to ".plist"

Launch Pref Setter.

Change the name as it appears under "Value" column.

Quit Pref Setter and save.

Change the ".plist" back to "strings"

Drag the modified "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" replacing the "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" in Cyberduck.

Restart iPhone.
Hmm, thanks for your help. I have a PC and I'm wondering if I'll still be able to do this. Is Pref Setter just an HTML editor? If so, then I'm pretty sure I can do this...

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
idk if this is the same. but i used mobilefinder to change the name of Apollo to iChat. and thats how it displays on my dock.. maybe u can try that.