Changed my mind about getting the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by liberated, Mar 9, 2015.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I was really excited to get this watch but the pricing structure leaves me feeling like apple is taking advantage of me. I can only stomach so much. I have a macbook Pro Retina, iPhone 6 and many more apple products but this watch and its pricing structure feels like apple is pulling a fast one. I am out!

#1 liberated, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I with you on that! I would have been ok with the $350-$399 watch but those bands are horrible. I will get one but it's going to be awhile.

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

A bracelet the same price as an iPad air??? am I crazy to think this must be a joke??!!

4. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I saw that too! $150-$450 for a band? I like Apple stuff but DAMN!?! What are they thinking. $350-$400 plus tax also if you want a different band at the $150-$450 tax also! It's not worth it.

5. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I would think by the 3rd gen they will include FaceTime. Then that would be worth the price.

6. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I agree these thing are crazy pricy - but I think what we need to keep in mind is that the Apple Watch is being introduced and marketed not just a piece of technology, but also a time piece. Even so, I will agree these are expensive. Even worse, it's a timepiece that can become outdated. Now having said all that, I'm definitely buying one haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Although it can become outdated and other companies have been thinking or have already come up with a watch device?

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I think you misunderstand what I mean. I'm not saying the idea of a smart watch will become outdated. I'm saying this specific device and it's technological capabilities will become outdated once Apple releases an upgraded version of their watch

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yes, I understand.

I'm not buying one for that reason, the price, and I have my iPhone out 24/7 anyways. I don't see a reason for myself to have one.

10. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Hey, a replacement bracelet for my Tag Heuer is $750. But I agree. Apple has gone way to far with pricing on this. And of course next year they will want us to buy the next version.
    It needs to stop somewhere.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Others have said it but I feel a need to reiterate. Are we certain that the watch will see an annual refresh? We're programmed to expect as much from our iDevices and Macs, but just maybe Apple is planning on letting the watch develop on a broader timeline. It makes sense in some ways but we really can't tell until the little hand gets far enough past the big hand. I'm just saying we shouldn't take anything for granted.

#11 Kadelic, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I think it is perfectly reasonable to project a year, or two tops refresh cycles. Technology just moves at that speed. Then we will surely see Samsung and others copy and improve upon apple's concept putting additional pressure.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We aren't certain, but I think it's likely that it will be upgraded annually (or at least every other year) like many Apple products. The Apple TV isn't, but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't need twice the power it has right now and there aren't enough new hardware features to add to it to warrant annual refreshes. It sits on our entrainment stands. Since people don't wear it or take it everywhere with them, a design change isn't that important. The watch is like an iPhone. There are lots of things they can improve or add, such as waterproofing, which has been pretty standard for timepieces for a long time now. It will also benefit from a faster processor, louder speaker, better battery, etc. Also, people love customizing and switching up their accessories. People will buy the new watch for a change in design. There is a ton of money to be made from new bands each year. I think the real question is why wouldn't Apple release an updated watch every year?

#13 Europa, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  14. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

Totally a gut punch! iPods, iPhone 1-6, imac, MacBook Pro, time capsule, Match, iPad, iPad mini, Apple TV, and a host of converters, cords, cables, etc.

They release this thing without a camera! We all know they will have a camera for photos and then a year later make it video capable and then retina and HD quality or some balderdash!

No camera! Seriously! They would have been better off not advertising the $10k plus watches during the launch. Who would pay $500 a $1k when we know a new watch will come out in a year or less.

#14 detroity2k, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  15. rollinfromhell

Gold

The moto 360 is bigger, prettier.. and it's 219.99 on Amazon right now. I'm making the switch back from the Note 4 to a Plus again and was considering it.. but wow. And I doubt Apple will even support a community for custom watch faces like the Moto 360 as well. After seeing the announcement.. it has a lot more features. Probably about 4 times the features. But at 399 for 42mm with a crappy cheap watchband? That's absurd. I wish people would try to boycott them for this and lower that price down a 100 bucks at least.. I remember people did with the original iPhone.

16. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

" I wish people would try to boycott them for this and lower that price down a 100 bucks at least.. I remember people did with the original iPhone."

I'm all with you on that. My friends Samsung Gear watch is just as nice, does as much, and less than half the cost of the least expensive Apple watch.
    Apple is taking advantage of us, 100%. Capitalism at its finest!

As the consumers we do have the power to change that, but as we know people will be lining up to buy these watches even if they can't really afford them. Apple will win.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If they can't afford it, they shouldn't buy it. I don't understand why people act like we are forced to buy Apple's products. If you think the Samsung watch is just as good, buy it instead. A lot of people don't seem to understand that paying a premium price will ensure premium support and customer service. I'm not aware of a Samsung store that offers same-day replacements, for example.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I partly disagree with you here. Are you saying that we as consumers should keep our mouths shut and take it? Company A has a product to sell and they will charge as much as WE are willing to pay. Corporate abuse has its foundation on what you just described. Now, I do agree with you in that apple products come at a premium which allows for great costumer experience and support but selling a watch band that cost as much as the actual watch is just plain greed and abuse.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. You're being a bit dramatic calling this abuse. If you really feel like you are being abused by Apple, why do you continue to support them by purchasing their products? Are you mindless and following that "WE" crowd you referred to or are you just not admitting to yourself that the cost is worth it to YOU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I completely agree Europa...., I'm not shelling out money for anything I don't think is worth it. It's not like they are whipping people in the street (Like a Devo Music Video) telling they they must buy it or get 10 lashes.