Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Uh huh. Do you feel powerless or forced? Are you going to continue to take this abuse or are you going to take a stand and stop buying all Apple products?
I've already said that I'm not buying the watch.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So you're going to continue to buy their other products (iPhones, iMacs, etc.)? You don't sound very committed to taking a stand against the abuse. ;)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
So you're going to continue to buy their other products (iPhones, iMacs, etc.)? You don't sound very committed to taking a stand against the abuse. ;)
Ok fair point, the only problem I have with Apple at this point is with the watch, I happen to be ok with the prices of the products I use, but yes ok I'm still supporting the company. Fair point.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
You will buy the watch and you will like it because Apple said so! Not get on with your bad self. :D

Seriously though if you've decided not to buy the watch why are you wasting your time complaining about it? just don't buy it and move on.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
You will buy the watch and you will like it because Apple said so! Not get on with your bad self. :D

Seriously though if you've decided not to buy the watch why are you wasting your time complaining about it? just don't buy it and move on.
I thought this was a place to share thoughts, opinions and ideas. If you have some to share that do not involve shutting me up I'll be glad to hear them :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But would you use it if you won it in a raffle and didn't have to pay for it? If you would rather sell it on principle, would you ask for actual Apple abuse/retail value or an arbitrary value? Would you become an abuser if you accepted actual value from a buyer? :D

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
But would you use it if you won it in a raffle and didn't have to pay for it? If you would rather sell it on principle, would you ask for actual Apple abuse/retail value or an arbitrary value? Would you become an abuser if you accepted actual value from a buyer? :D
If I won it on a raffle I'd keep it, if I had to sell I would give it away for half price :D .... Lol I can't keep a straight face lol

Aug 1, 2007
If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. You're being a bit dramatic calling this abuse. If you really feel like you are being abused by Apple, why do you continue to support them by purchasing their products? Are you mindless and following that "WE" crowd you referred to or are you just not admitting to yourself that the cost is worth it to YOU.
The cost isn't worth it to me. And yeah, it is somewhat abuse "of power". Apple doesn't offer any other products on their phone like any other watches aside from the Pebble, and I bet that took a pretty penny to even get a contract with them for it. Their watches probably aren't open to agreement, that's why you haven't seen any other watches on it. It would be nice to have watches that are LIKE a gear, a moto 360, etc.. but they don't give us many other options. 400 dollars (minimum) is atrocious for a watch, and it's pretty ugly looking for the basic model.

Want a leather wristband? That's almost 500 when you can get the same thing on Android. Unfortunately Android isn't for me, so I'm coming back to Apple. The prices are competitive with Android in terms of phones. Tablets are only a 100 more. But a watch... It's a bit of a rip off, I completely disagree. If I had other options for a color watch, that's actually a full fledged smartwatch.. I wouldn't be complaining. I'll wait for a price drop O_O.

Last edited:

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Here's the thing. I spent $1500.00 on a Tag Heuer watch twenty years ago. Would everyone do that? Maybe not. It was and is worth it to me. It is a fine piece of art and a wonderful time piece. And it will be for another 20 years.

Do I have to chuck it in the bin in two years, or be forced to upgrade in two years because the firmware is out of date, or there are no further updates made for it? Will I need to buy a new one for another $$$$$ because it will not run the latest apps? No.
It's not the cost of the Apple watch itself. It's the cost of it and the fact that Apple expects us to act like a bunch of lemmings and line up for more 24 months later.
Make it a watch that I can update for 20 years and I'm in! Hell, I'll pay twice the cost.

I have three bespoke Japanese fountain pens. Hand finished in fine urushi lacquer. (Google "Nakaya Fountain Pen") These range in price from $600 to $950. Yes cost is a different thing to each person. But again, these pens will be passed on to my children, and so on.

The cost itself, is irrelevant. It's the "keep buying, keep buying" part of it that brings out the "corporate greed" comments.

Sorry if I sound "dramatic". The down side of faceless Internet forums, some may think I'm more angry than I actually am. Just sharing!

Aug 1, 2007
Here's the thing. I spent $1500.00 on a Tag Heuer watch twenty years ago. Would everyone do that? Maybe not. It was and is worth it to me. It is a fine piece of art and a wonderful time piece. And it will be for another 20 years.

Do I have to chuck it in the bin in two years, or be forced to upgrade in two years because the firmware is out of date, or there are no further updates made for it? Will I need to buy a new one for another $$$$$ because it will not run the latest apps? No.
It's not the cost of the Apple watch itself. It's the cost of it and the fact that Apple expects us to act like a bunch of lemmings and line up for more 24 months later.
Make it a watch that I can update for 20 years and I'm in! Hell, I'll pay twice the cost.

I have three bespoke Japanese fountain pens. Hand finished in fine urushi lacquer. (Google "Nakaya Fountain Pen") These range in price from $600 to $950. Yes cost is a different thing to each person. But again, these pens will be passed on to my children, and so on.

The cost itself, is irrelevant. It's the "keep buying, keep buying" part of it that brings out the "corporate greed" comments.

Sorry if I sound "dramatic". The down side of faceless Internet forums, some may think I'm more angry than I actually am. Just sharing!
Hey man, that's definitely on you! I really have no problem with what you said. That is your viewpoint, and you're not attacking me. So you're good. I can agree with some things being justifiable in price, like things you can pass down and whatnot. But this years Apple Watch will be irrelevant in a year or two. But yeah, it's about business and I understand that.. just could be a smidge cheaper is all. Don't get me wrong, just watching the whole conference got me psyched. It does about twice as more crap as a moto 360, but I'll buy a 20 dollar watch at walmart for the time being and wait.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I currently have no interest in this watch. I did have a brief period that lasted a day or two back in February where I thought maybe I would get one, but then my disinterest set back in. I prefer a simple Movado or Tissot T-Touch and an iPhone.

The problem with your post is Tag and Tissot are completly different devices from an iWatch yet you are comparing them as if they are in the same category. They may share the name "watch," but think of all that a modern cell phone does in comparison to an old landline. This watch is basically a small computer. Standard watches can run continuously on a small battery for three years because of their simplicity. This simplicity lends itself to long-lasting value. The Apple watch is going to be outdated in three years because of its nature. That's not Apple's fault. It's technology. People are already crying abuse. Now you want them to add 2018 specs to a 2015 watch and charge less than they are now? It doesn't work like that. We don't know what's going to happen in three years time. It might need/benefit from things that aren't even available yet. The competition would kill it by then if they didn't come out with a new one sooner. You know how this works. It's the same thing with phones. Do you think Samsung would skip putting out a new phone next year if Apple did? Not a chance.

I just don't get these greed comments. Every manufacturer out there is in this to make a profit. They are all charging as much as they can while maximizing sales. You don't have to participate in this or "keep buying" if you don't want to. It's the direction the world went. Technology moves fast. If you want a watch that does all these fancy things, you're going to have to start buying watches more frequently than in the past if you want to stay up to date. And that goes for a Samsung or anything else.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I currently have no interest in this watch. I did have a brief period that lasted a day or two back in February where I thought maybe I would get one, but then my non-interest set back in. I prefer a simple Movado or Tissot T-Touch and an iPhone.

The problem with your post is a Tag and Tissot are completly different devices than an iWatch. They may share the name "watch," but think of all that a modern cell phone does in comparison to an old landline. This watch is basically a small computer. Standard watches can run continuously on a small battery for three years because of their simplicity. This simplicity lends itself to long-lasting value. The Apple watch is going to be outdated in three years because of its nature. That's not Apple's fault. It's technology. They can't make one that will last for three years. People are already crying abuse. Now you want them to add 2018 specs to a 2015 watch and charge less than they are now? It doesn't work like that. We don't know what's going to happen in three years time. It might need/benefit from things that aren't even available yet. The competition would kill it by then if they didn't come out with a new one sooner. You know how this works. It's the same thing with phones. Do you think Samsung would skip putting out a new phone next year if Apple did? Not a chance.

I just don't get these greed comments. Every manufacturer out there is in this to make a profit. They are all charging as much as they can while maximizing sales. You don't have to participate in this or "keep buying" if you don't want to. It's the direction the world went. Technology moves fast. If you want a watch that does all these fancy things, you're going to have to start buying watches more frequently than in the past if you want to stay up to date. And that goes for a Samsung or anything else.
Europa, my main complaint is with the bands, do you really believe the prices on bands are fair? A few slomo videos on how they make them aren't enough to bamboozle me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa, my main complaint is with the bands, do you really believe the prices on bands are fair? A few slomo videos on how they make them aren't enough to bamboozle me.
I haven't done any research on the bands, so I can't comment on that.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
I currently have no interest in this watch. I did have a brief period that lasted a day or two back in February where I thought maybe I would get one, but then my disinterest set back in. I prefer a simple Movado or Tissot T-Touch and an iPhone.

The problem with your post is Tag and Tissot are completly different devices from an iWatch yet you are comparing them as if they are in the same category. They may share the name "watch," but think of all that a modern cell phone does in comparison to an old landline. This watch is basically a small computer. Standard watches can run continuously on a small battery for three years because of their simplicity. This simplicity lends itself to long-lasting value. The Apple watch is going to be outdated in three years because of its nature. That's not Apple's fault. It's technology. People are already crying abuse. Now you want them to add 2018 specs to a 2015 watch and charge less than they are now? It doesn't work like that. We don't know what's going to happen in three years time. It might need/benefit from things that aren't even available yet. The competition would kill it by then if they didn't come out with a new one sooner. You know how this works. It's the same thing with phones. Do you think Samsung would skip putting out a new phone next year if Apple did? Not a chance.

My intention was not really to compare a Tag and an Apple watch, as they are both very different indeed. My point was simply that cost does not prohibit me from the purchases I make, hence the inclusion of the pens.
You are correct, this is a tiny computer which would live on my wrist. What a remarkable device. ( no I'm not being sarcastic, I actually really like the watch). But honestly, take away the "Fitbit" part and what's left?
A much smaller version of what I will still need to carry in my pocket. It's a redundancy. And a costly one.

I'm a tech geek. I love all things electronic and state of the art, that's what got me into Apple in the first place. I just feel they are pushing it a little with this one.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep. They look just like Apple products: very nice, well-crafted and a bit pricy. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the actual user reviews go.

My intention was not really to compare a Tag and an Apple watch, as they are both very different indeed. My point was simply that cost does not prohibit me from the purchases I make, hence the inclusion of the pens.
You are correct, this is a tiny computer which would live on my wrist. What a remarkable device. ( no I'm not being sarcastic, I actually really like the watch). But honestly, take away the "Fitbit" part and what's left?
A much smaller version of what I will still need to carry in my pocket. It's a redundancy. And a costly one.

I'm a tech geek. I love all things electronic and state of the art, that's what got me into Apple in the first place. I just feel they are pushing it a little with this one.
I agree. That's why I don't want one.