Changing accounts on iPhone

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
My friend has an iPhone and wants some apps I bought. I know he can enter my account and password on his computer but can he do it on his iPhone?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Yes he can. Let him sync his iPhone / iPod Touch with the computer, open iTunes 8, and then find 'Store' category in the menu bar (next to File, Edit, etc.). Then he can either Sign out, View his account, Sign in with anther account, etc. Also, after logging in with your account, he needs to press Store again and click "Authorize This Computer", you have 5 authorizations left for each Store account. Then he can either use his iPhone to download and install applications you already purchased FOR FREE or he can redownload and install them using his 'authorized computer' through iTunes Store. Again for FREE!

I hope this helps.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
If he does sync his iPhone with his computer, and then press 'Store', 'Sign Out', then 'Sign in' with your account (the one you bought the applications in) then it will be automatically changed on his iPhone and he can download the applications from App Store then. Otherwise, he won't be able to sign in your account using his iPhone, because HIS own account is stored there. Do you understand me?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
... I guess I replied you twice about that. Can you just get his iPhone and try what I wrote?

x986

Nov 19, 2008
Tarek,
This is interesting. Are you saying that anyone who buys an app can give it to four friends, free? Another question - While I am a newbie, I was talking to a friend who is VERY familiar with Apple OSs. He advised me NOT to synch my new 3G to my old buggie laptop, but wait until my new desktop is ready. (Both PCs) He advised that while you can change your account between computers, it is a potential problem.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Nope. You have five computers to authorize. So it's better to sync with your new desktop (if you're sure you're going to buy one) instead of your buggie laptop. So you would have four computers left to authorize, you know what I mean? And yes, actually if you sign in the account from even ten different iPhones, you can still redownload the application for free on all of them if you've purchased it before, but the updates are going to cost money (if it was for money in the first place, I guess).

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I mean, I had an iTunes Store account that already expired and the billing needs to be updated. So of course I already have a lot of 'paid for' applications that are installed on my iPhone and iPod Touch. Now whenever I try to update them using my best friend's account, it tells me that I have to purchase it all over again since this is not the account I bought it using. So that way I would pay twice for the same application, and that is kind of lame of Apple.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
... I guess I replied you twice about that. Can you just get his iPhone and try what I wrote?
christ bud i fucking know i can do it if use a computer. I NOW I CAN CHANGE THE ACCOUNT ON THE COMPUTER AND SYNC IT WITH HIS iPhone. i have done it hundreds of times. i asked can i do it without a computer. somebody answered my question. i cannot do it on the iPhone. im not an angry person but your acting like im an idiot. i know i can do it on the computer.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You can do it on the iPhone too. Tell him to stop using App Store for a whole day and then try downloading anything from it. It will ask him to enter the username and password, then let him enter yours. But if he used his own account like an hour earlier before he wanted to use yours then he can't, because his account will be like stored/saved, I don't know but he won't be able to enter anything in the username field since his account will be written there. Sorry about the misunderstanding mate.