Changing backgrounds on the go

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Note: when I say background, I don't mean the wallpaper you can easily add from your pictures file...

I would like to be able to change my backgrounds on the go, without having to ssh. So what I did yesterday is uploading in my summerboard theme folder on my phone a bunch of cool backgrounds (that I named Background1.png, Background2.png, etc...).

I assumed that I could just use the Finder app and rename the background I wanted to use.

So I went in Finder, renamed my Background.png (the one I didn't want to use anymore) to Backgroundxxx.png and I renamed Background2.png (the new one I wanted to use) to Background.png.

It worked but it actually erased the original background! Yes, it deleted it, gone. Is there something I may have done wrong?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Here's an easier way to change your background wallpaper on the fly:

1. Create a folder on your computer containing your favorite wallpapers. Sync it to your iPhone via iTunes (photos tab in iTunes), so that it shows up in your Photo Album.

2. In SummerBoard Prefs, turn OFF Theme Wallpaper. (Alternatively, just make sure your Summerboard theme doesn't have Wallpaper.png...it will automatically default to your current "slide to unlock" wallpaper).

Now just go to your Photo Album, select which wallpaper you want and choose "set as wallpaper". This will change your background wallpaper too.

Obviously if you want your "slide to unlock" wallpaper different than your background wallpaper, this won't work.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Here's an easier way to change your background wallpaper on the fly:

1. Create a folder on your computer containing your favorite wallpapers. Sync it to your iPhone via iTunes (photos tab in iTunes), so that it shows up in your Photo Album.

2. In SummerBoard Prefs, turn OFF Theme Wallpaper. (Alternatively, just make sure your Summerboard theme doesn't have Wallpaper.png...it will automatically default to your current "slide to unlock" wallpaper).

Now just go to your Photo Album, select which wallpaper you want and choose "set as wallpaper". This will change your background wallpaper too.

Obviously if you want your "slide to unlock" wallpaper different than your background wallpaper, this won't work.
Once again, you save my butt! Thanks. :laugh2:

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I wish there was a 3rd party app to change backrounds randomly or daily. That would rock.