Changing default format for images captured with Grab utility

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hi, I'm having some difficulties changing the default format for images that I capture with the Grab utility. They're always in .TIFF, and I would like them to be in .JPG.

I have tried a defaults write command in Terminal that I found on at least different sites, to no avail.

The command I used was:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rafael

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You ever tried using Shift-Command-4? This allows you to save a selection of the screen.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Erm, just realised. When you wrote the comman into Terminal did you kill the existing process to enable the change? You need to run:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg *Return*

Killall SystemUIServer *Return*

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Erm, just realised. When you wrote the comman into Terminal did you kill the existing process to enable the change? You need to run:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg *Return*

Killall SystemUIServer *Return*
Affirmative, sir. I followed the instructions on the those websites that I got the instructions from. Copied-and-pasted the commands to avoid typos, too.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Affirmative, sir. I followed the instructions on the those websites that I got the instructions from. Copied-and-pasted the commands to avoid typos, too.
Have you relaunched Finder and/or rebooted your machine?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If it doesn't work, you can right-click on the image and change the file extension. I've always used command+shift+4 for selection capture and command+shift+3 for full screen capture. It's faster than Grab.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If it doesn't work, you can right-click on the image and change the file extension. I've always use command+shift+4 for selection capture and command+shift+3 for full screen capture. It's faster than Grab.
That's exactly why I use:

Shift-Command-4
Command-i
Change extension-.jpg

Boom.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's exactly why I use:

Shift-Command-4
Command-i
Change extension-.jpg

Boom.
Thank you Europa, and thank you iPhonewarrior for your responses :)! It worked, and I didn't even have to do the third step (changing the extension). It went straight to .JPG due to the command that I had entered earlier on Terminal (defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg)--it causes all screen captures to be in the format of your choice. I guess that command doesn't work for screen captures performed via Grab.app, so that's why those were all coming out as .TIFFs and I. I especially liked (until now) Grab.app because it gave me the crosshairs to capture just a portion of the screen, but I just realized thanks to you guys that Shift+Command+4 also gives me the crosshairs.

Europa, for future reference, can you simply change the .TIFF extension on a file to .JPG without corrupting the contents of the file--although I won't have an immediate need for this step now that I can capture straight to .JPG!

Thank you again iPhonewarrior and Europa for your prompt replies (y)!