Changing Hidden Preferences on 3.0 without Jailbreaking

dhkosta

Jun 18, 2009
My phone was previously jailbroken, and restored from backup after the 3.0 update. To my delight, my battery life was still numerically represented. This means that even preferences that Apple doesn't provide access to are backed up in the restore (.ispw) files. For those who want access to these minor tweaks, it seems it can be acquired by editing these files, and then restoring to them. The problem is that I don't know how to open the files for editing.

Of course, I have no doubt some on this forum have the solution. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I've noticed that too. After updating to 3.0 my carrier logo is still my customized thing. I don't have any insight on to how to do it but Id like to know too.

dhkosta

Jun 18, 2009
I'm downloading xcode right now. Maybe that'll do it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yes settings that Apple doesn't provide are backed up. My guess is that the backup works somewhat like an image of the disk, kinda like a dvd image with the technology of time machine.
More importantly, it appears that the updates are not a full OS but rather an incremental update. It just patches changes between the previous versions and the new version.

dhkosta

Jun 18, 2009
I was thinking that it'd be the same with other prefs, though. Like if you had 3G turned off when you backed up your jailbroken phone, you'd have 3.0 with 3G turned off - until it's restored as new. I just need a way to edit the 3.0 ispw file, and I can turn on and off whatever I want by restoring it, right?

Does anybody know how to edit the restore files? This would be great for those who want access to different settings but do not want to jailbreak their phones.