Changing message, email tones

jhat3k1

Jul 1, 2007
I just added a text and email alert tone, however now I get no sound for either. I have done every other mod and am pretty confident that I didn't do anything wrong. I opened up the "cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds" directory and then did putfile new-email.caf which matched the filename for the small .caf file in mt main directory. Now I have nothing, any ideas?

Thanks

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
I take it that theres an size limit on the sms-received.caf file because everytime I try to putfile the new tone, iPhoneinterface.exe closes. The file is 300k that im trying to push over, trying to figure out how to make file size smaller, its the tone, that keeps repeating message till it starts screaming.

Now the default tone doesn't work, even though file didn't get pushed, but its all good, will just find a different tone. Or if anyone have the default, do you mind posting?
yeah man i ran into that problem... i was trying to use a 15 second song clip and used the iPhone explorer (drag n drop) software and it just was too big i think... although i have homer saying "DOH" as the sms tone now... so it is possible to make the tone different, just needs to be small as hell apparently.

my homer DOH sound is 5kb so that should give you an idea how small lol...

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
I just added a text and email alert tone, however now I get no sound for either. I have done every other mod and am pretty confident that I didn't do anything wrong. I opened up the "cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds" directory and then did putfile new-email.caf which matched the filename for the small .caf file in mt main directory. Now I have nothing, any ideas?

Thanks
sometimes the .caf files don't work... not real sure why... i have a homer simpson "doh" and a "woohoo" file and the woohoo file is only 4kb but wouldn't work for anything... the doh has worked for both the camera shutter and text messages.... so its sometimes just a matter of finding a few dif sounds to see which ones work.

currently i have "youve got mail" for my emails received tone

good luck! ill be posting the .caf files ive used in a moment

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
Here it is: my current sounds and what they are used with.

everything goes into the uisounds folder... if you are using iPhoneinterface type the following:

cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/lock.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/unlock.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/sms-received.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/new-mail.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/photoShutter.caf

for the lock sound i have mario saying "bye bye"
for the unlock sounds i have arnold schwarzenegger saying "good morning"

for the sms-received i have "doh" by homer (may change if i can)
for the new-mail i have "you've got mail!" by the AOL Voice
for the photo shutter i have the same doh by homer just to make sure it worked

if you want to use the doh sound (its the one labeled photoShutter.caf) you can rename it to whatever you want it to be used for, ie: lock.caf, unlock.caf, etc

Attachments

jhat3k1

Jul 1, 2007
Problem with AFCFileRefOpen: 12

I get this error when trying to post any of the files you posted

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Lol you don't wanna change every file it begins to make the phone look n00bie and shitty ... someone posted a whole zip file with every png file iphone-pics.zip
that file was missing a lot and i mean a lot of stuff!

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Here it is: my current sounds and what they are used with.

everything goes into the uisounds folder... if you are using iPhoneinterface type the following:

putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/lock.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/unlock.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/sms-received.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/new-mail.caf
putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/photoShutter.caf

for the lock sound i have mario saying "bye bye"
for the unlock sounds i have arnold schwarzenegger saying "good morning"
for the sms-received i have "doh" by homer (may change if i can)
for the new-mail i have "you've got mail!" by the AOL Voice
for the photo shutter i have the same doh by homer just to make sure it worked

if you want to use the doh sound (its the one labeled photoShutter.caf) you can rename it to whatever you want it to be used for, ie: lock.caf, unlock.caf, etc
do you happen to have the original files for these incase we want to revert back?

Jun 30, 2007
lock and unlock

i have my lock and unlock transformer sounds but i don't know how to upload here says zipp is too large not sure if anybody wants these sounds

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
i have my lock and unlock transformer sounds but i don't know how to upload here says zipp is too large not sure if anybody wants these sounds
try rapidshare.com or megaupload.com

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
man I would love to get a hold of the MGS codec sound for my SMS, I'm gonna try to get it tonight see if I find it and covert it, I'll post it up if I get it, or if somoene else has it please post it thanks

gt2123

Jul 20, 2007
I NEED HELP ON ADDIN RINTONES. I when i cut and paste to the c drive it tell me that I need to add a disk to the c drive. my computer isn't reading the iPhone as a removable disk.................. WHAT DO I DO

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
I NEED HELP ON ADDIN RINTONES. I when i cut and paste to the c drive it tell me that I need to add a disk to the c drive. my computer isn't reading the iPhone as a removable disk.................. WHAT DO I DO
the best advice i can give you is to go read the top post in this forum, how to add custom ringtones... read through what is posted and study the visual screen shots on how to do it, about the best tutorial you can possibly get.

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
do you happen to have the original files for these incase we want to revert back?
what you need to do to extract the original files is open iPhoneinterface and type this:

getfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/lock.caf

and do that for all the files. if you are looking to see which files are in the UISounds folder after typing cd /syst... type ls and it will list everything in the folder so you know you need to extract lock.caf, unlock.caf, sms-received.caf, etc save them and rename them or just place them in a dif. folder than your mod folder so if you want to reload them you can

hope that helps, its a little confusing your first time reading it, but if you read it through and tinker with iPhoneinterface and the manzana app you'll see what i mean pretty easily

DiBxna

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
in scottsdale, AZ
www.myspace.com
id be down for the sounds, just to play with them or whatever... and if you are uploading just a few short sound clips then it couldnt possibly be too large... i uploaded 4 .caf sound clips in a zip file and it was like .5% of the allowed .zip file size

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
arrrgh i hate iPhoneinterface, everytime i "getfile" windows shuts it down ERROR - wudafuxup! too bad you can't drag "from" manzana "yet"

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
ugh I tried to put to codec sound for my sms but failed miserably.

I downloaded 1 wav and one mp3, i converted both to acc using iTunes and they got to around 8kb each, i tried both but neither worked >.< am I doing anything wrong? where can I get the original File? sorry I was bieng a n00b and didn't take it out before trying this :mad:

Metal Gear Solid Codec .wav Ringtone anyone wanna give it a try and see if you can get it working?

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
ugh I tried to put to codec sound for my sms but failed miserably.

I downloaded 1 wav and one mp3, i converted both to acc using iTunes and they got to around 8kb each, i tried both but neither worked >.< am I doing anything wrong? where can I get the original File? sorry I was bieng a n00b and didn't take it out before trying this :mad:
.caf or .aif file man