Charge 1st or Activate?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
hey was wondering what everyone's plans were when they get it home? Will you be charging it before activation or can't wait? I myself am going to want the maximum battery life so I will try my hardest and charge it 1st for 24hrs and then activate it. wish me luck :laugh2:

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Good luck trying not to use it for a day, while it just sits there staring at you. I'm going to activate it immediately, then bop around with it for like a while. I'm going to go with whatever battery life it has. I may leave it in the charger for an hour, which will probably charge it like more than halfway. Then tonight, I'm going to give it a full charge overnight.

By the way, anytime it's connected to the dock it's probably charging? Right?

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
yeah plans never go as planned huh? lol I'll probably have it on the charger for 24hrs but be playing with it the whole time lol

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
It's not 2002 any more. I'm pretty sure nowadays you don't have to do that whole 24hr charge thing with modern lithium batteries. That's why they ship them with batteries fully charged rather than dead.

Mind you, we're talking about Apple here and not Nokia.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
It's not 2002 any more. I'm pretty sure nowadays you don't have to do that whole 24hr charge thing with modern lithium batteries. That's why they ship them with batteries fully charged rather than dead.

Mind you, we're talking about Apple here and not Nokia.
He's right. Modern batteries don't need a full "don't-use-the-device-while-charging" charge anymore. When you get it, activate while charging, and play around with it. It will be fine. Just don't let it drop below 50% before fully charging it.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
He's right. Modern batteries don't need a full "don't-use-the-device-while-charging" charge anymore. When you get it, activate while charging, and play around with it. It will be fine. Just don't let it drop below 50% before fully charging it.
sorry but explain more please, don't let it drop below 50% before charging it? So you mean if the bars show full out of the box don't let it drop below 50% before charging it?

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
i got sucked into meeting the wifes family for dinner after I buy the iPhone. Then I get to go home and activate it. Do you think it would be safe to plug it into my Monster FM transmitter to fully charge it in the car while i eat dinner and ride home. Or would I need to do a full charge through the usb cable.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
sorry but explain more please, don't let it drop below 50% before charging it? So you mean if the bars show full out of the box don't let it drop below 50% before charging it?
Most new tech devices that come with batteries come about half charged. I would recommend plugging it in as soon as you get home, but don't be afraid to use it while its charging.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Most new tech devices that come with batteries come about half charged. I would recommend plugging it in as soon as you get home, but don't be afraid to use it while its charging.
You should double check the manual when you open the box but I think the whole thing about charging for 24hrs and all is a myth left over from the old NiCad batteries. That older technology would maintain a charge "memory." I don't think the newer batteries do that.

But again, confirm this by reading your manual.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I'm going to purchase two from the Apple store. That way I will use one right away and not pay any attention to the battery life. The other one I will charge fully, then activate it.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I could care less about the battery, I've waited long enough. I'm just going to plug it in while I set it up. I have a friend that lives right around the corner from the Apple store. So we are going to his house and activate them right away. Then we are going to walk back to the Apple store and check out the accessories for our working iPhones.