charging battery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JMG

Sep 24, 2007
Wilmington, De
I just got my phone last week and I LOVE IT! :laugh2: My only questions are when u charge it does the battery fill all the way up? (I charged mine overnight with the wall charger and there was probably about an eighth of the battery still empty) Secondly how long does the battery last on average? wifi is off as is bluetooth. Thanks for any help.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I just got my phone last week and I LOVE IT! :laugh2: My only questions are when u charge it does the battery fill all the way up? (I charged mine overnight with the wall charger and there was probably about an eighth of the battery still empty) Secondly how long does the battery last on average? wifi is off as is bluetooth. Thanks for any help.
Yes, the battery should completely charge. If the battery level indicator shows anything less than a full charge after leaving it plugged in overnight, try powering off the iPhone (meaning hold the power button and shut down) and restarting. Sometimes the iPhone OS needs to be reminded of the battery state. IMO, it's a quirky PMU (power management unit).

The life of a charge varies greatly, depending on usage. I'm getting 2-3 days per charge, minimal multimedia, WiFi on but available only about 30% of the time, BT constant on. With WiFi & BT off you'll do well, but will obviously get less time if you watch movies all day. Here's a link to my post in a different battery-related thread. It contains links to a few informative battery pages, including a couple of Apple's own.

Cheers,

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

vicknik

Sep 26, 2007
One thing to keep in mind is that the USB protocol spec dictates that only 500mAs can be drawn from a PC - I'm not sure but Apple may have a regulator that only allows this much to be drawn when connected via AC adapter also.

This phone can be a power hog when the processor is pegged, the screen is on, WIFI is on, etc. I;m not for sure but I do believe that the phone can consume more than 500mA in its worse case state.

If for some reason there is a bug where the iPhone is hung up with the processor pegged, wifi on, etc - I think it is possible that you could be drawing more power than can be stored and hence not leaving any leftover for charging.

You may notice that when the battery is just about completely dead (on red) that it takes a while after you plug it in before you can use it. I believe this is to give the phone a bit of room for these worse case scenarios so that it doens't hit the threshold and power off before it can safely close down.