Charging - Friend or Foe?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jayeden

Sep 13, 2007
This taken from the CNET review -

"Unfortunately, the Phone does not have a battery that a user can replace. That means you have to send the iPhone to Apple to replace the battery after it's spent (Apple is estimating one battery will keep its full strength for 400 charges--probably about three years' worth of use). The cost of the replacement is $79 plus $6.95 shipping. No, you don't really need a removable battery in a cell phone, but like many things missing on the iPhone, it would be nice to have, especially for such an expensive phone."

That being said, what do most of you do? Plug it in every night? Only when you need to? Are you at all worried about this? What constititues a 'charge'?

I plug mine in every day, multiple times a day, and sometims leave it plugged in over night...?

The histoy of ipod batteries worries me...

For those of us that have 'played' with our iPhones..;) - will sending it to Apple to have the battery replaced result in any other 'findings'?

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I plug mine in about every other day, overnight. I was under the impression that a "charge" referred to a charge cycle... as in fully empty before plugging in. I could be wrong.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
A charge cycle is constitued as 100% to 0% (not exactly zero, but until the phone says "please charge me"). So this means if you use about 50% of your phone every day then 2 days worth equaling 100% is a charge cycle. Leaving it plugged in is fine.

I doubt Apple would mess with your phone when changing the battery. Personally I'm going to do it myself as it is not that hard in my eyes, but I don't see a battery changer would care if you have modded your phone, but that's my speculation

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i run my phone for about 2-3 days until i get the 20% message or its just about to be on and i know i am taking the train or have a long day that i will be using the web or music.... not really worried about the battery... replacements will be cheap by the time i will need one... and im not nervous about ripping my phone apart

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
I plug it in every nite take it off when i head to school. Then nite comes and back to it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayeden

Sep 13, 2007
i plug it in every nite take it off wen i head to school. then nite comes and back to it again.
and your not at all worried about this burning it out quicker?

how long have you had it, do you notice any change in battery life from day 1 up until today?

do you use the wall charger or charge from your pc?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This taken from the CNET review -

"Unfortunately, the Phone does not have a battery that a user can replace. That means you have to send the iPhone to Apple to replace the battery after it's spent (Apple is estimating one battery will keep its full strength for 400 charges--probably about three years' worth of use). The cost of the replacement is $79 plus $6.95 shipping. No, you don't really need a removable battery in a cell phone, but like many things missing on the iPhone, it would be nice to have, especially for such an expensive phone."

That being said, what do most of you do? Plug it in every night? Only when you need to? Are you at all worried about this? What constititues a 'charge'?

I plug mine in every day, multiple times a day, and sometims leave it plugged in over night...?

The histoy of ipod batteries worries me...

For those of us that have 'played' with our iPhones..;) - will sending it to Apple to have the battery replaced result in any other 'findings'?
Here's some INFO on how to save battery life.
I'll probably be ready for iPhone2 by the time my battery dies.
Apparently, iPhones will come back all "restored" after a battery upgrade, so all info will be erased. Either that or it might be cheaper for them to send a new iPhone.

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
how long have you had it, do you notice any change in battery life from day 1 up until today?

only had it for about a week now.
and umm i guess i should be worried but idk wen the time comes ill guess ima have to replace it anyways.
and i use the wall charge with the dock.
also my battery doesn't every reach the point where it says charge me or even past half way empty.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007

I charge mine exactly the same way, every night in the charger. I've had it since June 29th (5th in line yeah!) and if anything, my battery life has improved.

Really, unless you have the rare defective unit, your battery will last as long as you'll need it to. No worries :)

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I charge mine exactly the same way, every night in the charger. I've had it since June 29th (5th in line yeah!) and if anything, my battery life has improved.

Really, unless you have the rare defective unit, your battery will last as long as you'll need it to. No worries :)
yah i do it the same way. i could care less cause the longest ive ever had a phone was only 10 months cause i like constant change so ill probably get iPhone 2 the day it comes out just like this iPhone