Charging phone in 5 min

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
What you guys think about this chargers that will fully charge your phone in 5 min? Do you guys think it will reduce the battery life ?

Sent using iCafe app

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Never heard of it. The charging circuity is built into the iPhone, not the power adapter so the maximum charging rate is designated by the phone itself, regardless of the adapter you use. Pretty sure the max for the iPhone is 2.1 amps, which would be the 10w adapter which is what I use. It definitely charges faster than the 5w charger that ships with the phone, but it certainly takes longer than 5 minutes to charge fully.

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
You guys are right, the external battery will charge its self for 5 min, that battery then will be able to charge the phone

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
The faster a battery is charged the more heat is generated. I can't quantify it but I'm sure that increased heat repeatedly during the charge cycle will shorten the battery's overall life.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
I'm not stupid. :(

However, I do some ridiculous things sometimes that takes me a while to then fix.
Lol don't we all??

And I'm not talking about you, I was more referring to the people that actually tried it and nuked their phones. There's been quite a few, just google "Apple Wave". Pretty sure it's the same group of people that thought iOS 7 made their phones waterproof this time last year lol.