Charging routine for best battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by |3are, Sep 20, 2014.

1. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

So my girlfriend overheard an Apple Store rep today telling someone to never charge the battery on the new iPhone unless it was below 30%. I'm pretty sure that rep was talking out of his...

Is charging early and often still the best way to go to prolong long-term battery life?

2. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You should cycle the battery a few times on a new phone. Run it down until it dies then charge it to 100%. Repeat

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can charge it whenever you want. I've always topped mine off thoughout the day.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Is this absolutely necessary? It would be hard for me to do. I don't like seeing battery low lol.

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Of course it is. If someone said it on the Internet, it must be true.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh ok. You're right. :p

7. rattlhed

rattlhed Member
    Bronze

Lithium ion batteries don't need to be drained down and then fully charged. That's old technology. You can simply charge then whenever you want and they'll be fine. It's all about the cycle counts. Whether you charge it 5x at 20% or once at 100% each would count as one cycle. It's a solid technology.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apparently, this Apple rep said that in person. It's a little surprising that an Apple rep would be that ignorant. I'd expect it from a Verizon rep, though. I overhear them saying innaccurate things nearly every time I go to Verizon. I went yesterday to check out a Plus in person since they have a gold display model. I'm still with AT&T and they tend to be more knowledgeable, just like Apple reps.

9. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

Apple reps aren't exactly as dependable as they once were. When I was in there picking up my Plus on Friday, one of them mentioned the "sapphire glass screen". I said I thought that was just one of those rumors that turned out to be untrue and he said "no, they do have the sapphire glass screens". I just said ok.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not quite as bad as the Version rep here saying the iPhone 5 had a titanium back, but still bad. The rumors indicated we'd get sapphire, but that didn't pan out. Sounds like your Apple rep didn't watch the Keynote or read the forums afterwards.

11. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

Actually worse than the Verizon rep. Verizon reps have numerous devices they can have bad info on, Apple reps only have to worry about their own limited amount of devices.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just meant that it's worse to claim that the 6 has sapphire than it is to claim that the 5 is made out of titanium because there were rumors that the 6 would have sapphire. Titanium is more of a stretch than sapphire.

But yeah, Apple reps should be a lot more knowledgable about iPhones than Verizon reps.

13. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

With lithium batteries this can actually be detrimental to battery life.

14. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

3d0024ae83bbe0e44c96f43f41db477e.jpg

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It must be the Verizon store where you are. The people at Verizon here know their stuff. It's the local AT&T Store that we hear of the eggheads. I guess it all depends on location and current employees.

16. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

I charge mine overnight and never have had an issue.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Since taking iPhone 6+ off charge at 7 am I'm still at 53% and its 9:45pm. I'll still charge it tonight just because but yeah. As for battery issues my iPhone 5 was having battery issues. My friends iPhone 5 only lasted 2 hours.

18. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

Don't have the link now, but you can easily check it. On the Apple website they recommend letting the battery drain completely once a month, and then recharge completely. This is for battery meter calibration rather then for battery life. I would tend to trust what they say over others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't know how I could let it drain tonight. It's still at 40% since at a full charge at 7am. It's 11:40pm now. Do you recommend me to? I would normally charge it now during sleep.

20. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

I don't think it's necessary as long as you do it once a month for calibration purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk