Charging to 99%?

AmyLyn

Bronze
I am having an issue with my 3gs that has JUST popped up in the last couple days. I leave it on the charger all night then pull it off in the morning. It USED to always say 100%, as it should since it was on all night but the last couple days it says 99% when I pull it off. If I plug it back in, it immediately goes to 100%, but then as soon as I unplug it, it goes directly back to 99%. What gives? Anyone know what might "fix" this? Thanks! :)

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I am having an issue with my 3gs that has JUST popped up in the last couple days. I leave it on the charger all night then pull it off in the morning. It USED to always say 100%, as it should since it was on all night but the last couple days it says 99% when I pull it off. If I plug it back in, it immediately goes to 100%, but then as soon as I unplug it, it goes directly back to 99%. What gives? Anyone know what might "fix" this? Thanks! :)
My previous phone was a Q9h. Before that one, I owned 2 other Moto phones. During those earlier times of ownership, I heard that the Moto's tend not to fully charge if not turned off during the charging session. I had an app on the Q9h that did a scheduled shut down every night as I charged it. Shutting down occasionally also helps to clear memory of "fragments" left around by a day's activities. I've also heard that an occasional re-start is not a bad idea for the iPhone.

You also might want to read this thread regarding the meter. :D

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Try a hard reset with the power cable plugged in. It helps with battery calibration.

This may fix it :)

AmyLyn

Bronze
I will try the hard reset thing. The even weirder part is that ONLY happens with the power cable that is plugged into the wall. I plugged it in to my computer here at work to top it off and it goes to 100% and stays there when I unplug it. So strange. Wonder if my plug is defective?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Yeah it is supposed to

Just there was a recall of the old ones last year, Was just thinking mabey you could of got a old one with your 3GS highly unlikley but was just checking

I would say if a reset doesn't work or neither does restoring the phone then just ring Apple and they should send you a replacement wall charger

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
What's really frustrating is when you've had your phone on the charger all night, and it's up to 100% and you check your email with it still plugged in and it drops to 99%. Simply unplugging and plugging back in brings it back to 100% but it's still really annoying.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Run the battery down below 10%, reboot, then allow it to fully charge before disconnecting from AC.

Keep in mind that while the percentage indicator will do its best to accurately reflect the actual charge of the battery, the science is still inexact, and offsets can and do often occur. Obsessing about staying at 100% for a while is pretty pointless too, considering that number is always just an estimation.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I posted an EXACT thread on this. Use the search feature and read it.

This happened 3-4 times to me within the first few weeks of having the phone. It has not happened since.

You can run the battery low like said above to 10% before charging. You can also unplug it, run it down to like 90% and then plug it back in and let it go to 100%.

Battery is just working itself out. As I said, this happened a bunch of times to me previously and I was worried about it - but has not happened since.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Agreed, this follows the advice given on the Apple site for maximizing your battery's life and re-calibrating the meter. You would do this about every month or so.

YMMV