Cheap calling abroad App anyone?

Sep 5, 2011
Jalandhar, India
Hi guys,

I am looking for an app which will allow me to effectuate cheap calls from abroad. I am currently in India but am going to the UK in a month to do my masters. I will be calling my family like crazy, however, I will need a good VoiP application to do the trick .

Anything other than skype please.

Much appreciated in advance!

S.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I use Skype...what's it's downside for you?

Sent by iPhone 5 using iCafe app...Voices of dissension are the root of change for unfair practices...

Sep 5, 2011
Jalandhar, India
Chex, well using skype you would need to have a data plan (or available wifi network).

I was thinking of being able to use the simple cellphone call function to talk for cheap (i.e. something like a calling card).

I have found a service called rebtel. I registered with them, however i am not sure if it is exactly what i am looking for. I tried installing their app on an iPhone but no matter what it would not take my telephone number (which serves as my username).

Any good/bad words about rebtel?

Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you don't want to use Skype, the best option is to unlock the phone and get prepaid SIM cards in the countries you visit.

Sep 5, 2011
Jalandhar, India
wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I would combine TudorJ's suggestion with that of Europa.

I can see that you can buy Truphone sim cards and works perfect for the UK. I would get someone in iNdia to unlock my iPhone 5 once I get hold of a contract device.

Thanks again!

Edit: Brad, you are welcome, thanks for the suggestion.