cheating around the upgrade policy

Catrillis

Mar 11, 2008
i had the iPhone originally, then it was stolen from me in march. i then bought a phone (subsidized) soon after, certainly no iPhone. so now i do not qualify for the iPhone 3g subsidized price. 200 extra dollars is a little more than i can swing right now. my friend has the original iPhone and is looking to upgrade. so heres my plan. im thinking when he upgrades, he can let me borrow his iPhone. i can activate it to my plan. and then next month get the 3g for subsidized 199-299 prices. will someone let me know if this works?

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
i had the iPhone originally, then it was stolen from me in march. i then bought a phone (subsidized) soon after, certainly no iPhone. so now i do not qualify for the iPhone 3g subsidized price. 200 extra dollars is a little more than i can swing right now. my friend has the original iPhone and is looking to upgrade. so heres my plan. im thinking when he upgrades, he can let me borrow his iPhone. i can activate it to my plan. and then next month get the 3g for subsidized 199-299 prices. will someone let me know if this works?
you let us know if it works

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
just get your receipt for the original purchase and go talk to them. No need to get all complicated with it.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008

I have read on other forums that it worked for lots of people prior to the release of the 3g. I read about several people who did that a week before the release. However it doesn't appear that anyone has added anything to the forum recently saying they did it after the release and it worked. Let us know if it works.

Jul 15, 2008
Tracy, CA
As long as the iPhone plan is still on your acount they will give you the iPhone 3g for the subsidized price. It worked for me.