Check if your iPhone is really new or refurbished

JimMayor007

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Okay everyone, after shopping around for an iPhone, I have noticed something over and over again. Many people sell their iPhones claiming it to be "NEW" are actually refurbished iPhones. Here are the things to look out for if the item is refurbished:

Honest sellers will say if the phone was refurbished because refurbished iPhones come with a box that's completely white. On the white box, it will say "Apple Certified". Chances are if the seller doesn't have a box for the iPhone, there is a strong chance that they purchased the phone as a refurbished unit from Apple's online store or from AT&T's online store.

Most importantly, ASK FOR THE SERIAL NUMBER!

Well why would it matter? First off, for MOST of Apple's products, especially the iPhone, the serial number will start with a 5K. If the serial number starts with that for an iPhone, then it's guaranteed to be refurbished.

New iPhones have either a 7k or 8k. The 4th digit of the serial number means the week of the year it was manufactured. So for an example, if it's 8k801xxxxx then it means the phone was produced it was manufactured the first week of 2008. 7k745 would mean that the iPhone was manufactured on the 45th week of 2007.

Also just so everyone knows, Apple will not honor the warranty if you have an "unlocked" phone. It's very hard to obtain support for the phone if you can't provide the receipt. It is possible, but difficult because "unlocking" is breaking Apple's TOS.

When an iPhone has been unlocked, the total usage time for the phone has also been cleared out. So the true way to determine how old the phone is, is to ask for the serial number. If the seller isn't willing to give out the full serial number, it's fine. As long as it includes the first 5 digits!

...read the full guide with pics here

bearon1

Bronze
Oct 6, 2008
Your the tv guy right?

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
i guess this must be for 3G only? because mine starts 88813...

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I know mine is new cause I bought it July 11 on my bday and release day.

DNA

Oct 30, 2009
Refurbished iPhones Begin with 5K, 7K, or 8K.
Example:
5K7403RXWH8

iPhone 2G units will start with #/a or #/#.
Examples:

7W741UX5VR0 (Silver iPhone 2G 4GB)
7T744FB7WH8 (Silver iPhone 2G 8GB)
85752KE6WH8 (Silver iPhone 2G 8GB)
87809WH70KH (Silver iPhone 2G 16GB)

iPhone 3G & 3GS Units will start with two numerical digits.
Examples:
3G
85838VW7Y7H (Black iPhone 3G 8GB)
86828BWEY7K (Black iPhone 3G 16GB)
88845XKCY7K (Black iPhone 3G 16GB)
3GS
8884409K3NQ (White iPhone 3GS 16GB)
879234603NS (White iPhone 3GS 32GB)

Serial Number Broken Down: aabccdddeef
aa = Factory and Machine ID
b = Year
cc = Production Week
ddd = Unique Identifier
ee = Colour
f = size

P.S.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I hate finding outdated information that's not correct. So hopefully this will clear things up for those that come across this post in there search for information.

Jun 12, 2009
wait, i just got my iPhone 3g replaced with a new iPhone about 4-5 days ago, and mines starts with a 5K...does this means that my iPhone is refurbished ?

ICON502

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
Louisville,Ky
www.youtube.com
So I had to exchange my iPhone 4 at Radio Shack. I get it home and the iPhone was named something like Stusers iPhone and it was running the new ios 4.2.1. Im not sure if the guy at Radio Shack updated it or not. So how could I find out if its a refurb or not?

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Refurbished units don't come in the standard iPhone box. The box is listed as a refurb. my old 3G was a refurb and the box didn't even say iPhone on it. It was a plain white generic box.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So I had to exchange my iPhone 4 at Radio Shack. I get it home and the iPhone was named something like Stusers iPhone and it was running the new ios 4.2.1. Im not sure if the guy at Radio Shack updated it or not. So how could I find out if its a refurb or not?
It may or may not be a refurb but it definitely is used!

dchandler

Jun 24, 2009
Good Ole USA
Only at the Apple store you can get a refurb, I work for AT&T and we can not sell refurbs in the store

ICON502

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
Louisville,Ky
www.youtube.com
Well the box was the normal iPhone 4 box. It also had the original plastic wrapping. I seen him hook it up to iTunes. Maybe he went ahead and updated the phone? I read the link that Omen311 posted and my serial number begins with a 7T not 7K though. Not sure why thats different. I might call the Radio Shack and ask the guy his last name and see if its the same name that was on the phone lol. He was the store manager and I remember his first name.