Check out Media Database for the iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
http://www.djkev.com/apps/iPhone.php

I just finished this Web App for the iPhone. You can use it to keep track of your entire Movie, Game, and Book Collection, and who you have loaned which media out to.

I've spent a lot of time writing this app, so any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I want this to be a community-driven web app, so any ideas presented will be taken into account.

Thanks guys! :)

Jul 28, 2007
can you offer some sort of a preview or screenshot before we register, i hate registering for stuff before i know what it does.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Sure, I had another suggestion for that as well. I am going to create a guest account shortly, with an already populated DB of Movies, games, and books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've checked it out and like it so far...but here's a few things I'd like to see.

1) Local copy of the script to install on my own server.

2) Ability to import full collection at once, not individually. (Just entered all my DVDs into Collectorz "Movie Collector" program..took awhile)

3) Just have "DVD" option, no games/books/music

4) More detailed info about the movies (Actors/director/cover art etc.)

Other than that, it looks good. Much better than the "Export to html" feature that I have with Movie Collector.

Ideally..and maybe it will happen with iPhone upgrades, I'd like to have some sort of database ON the phone (Not just on the web) that I could keep track of my movies. Would come in really handy when you're at the store and wondering "Do I already HAVE this or not?!?" ;)

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I've checked it out and like it so far...but here's a few things I'd like to see.

What do you mean? You want my code? :p
2) Ability to import full collection at once, not individually. (Just entered all my DVDs into Collectorz "Movie Collector" program..took awhile)
Yes. I am currently working on writing an import script that will import from an excel file.
In future updates, in the tools section, I plan on adding options to disable tracking of each media type.
Thats a very good idea. Thanks!
Ideally..and maybe it will happen with iPhone upgrades, I'd like to have some sort of database ON the phone (Not just on the web) that I could keep track of my movies. Would come in really handy when you're at the store and wondering "Do I already HAVE this or not?!?" ;)

yes, i would love to write this app natively for the iPhone, unfortunately, Apple wont let me :(

You can, however, connect to the iPhone version while out 'n about.

Thanks for feedback :)

What do you mean? You want my code?​

> Pretty much! ;) I've had some bad experiences in the past > with web based things on other servers. I'd like the​

> opportunity to keep it on mine. Kind of like how most hosting​

> companies offer the ability to install blogs/message​

> boards/programs, etc. on the server. Of course credit will still > be given to the developer... maybe a "Licensing" type program > for "personal use"?​

Yes. I am currently working on writing an import script that will import from an excel file.​

> Cool..that would definitely be a BIG selling point!​

In future updates, in the tools section, I plan on adding options to disable tracking of each media type.​

> Yay!​

Thats a very good idea. Thanks!​

> Glad I could help! ;)
Ideally..and maybe it will happen with iPhone upgrades, I'd like to have some sort of database ON the phone (Not just on the web) that I could keep track of my movies. Would come in really handy when you're at the store and wondering "Do I already HAVE this or not?!?"

yes, i would love to write this app natively for the iPhone, unfortunately, Apple wont let me :(

> The bastards! :p

You can, however, connect to the iPhone version while out 'n about.

Thanks for feedback :)

porktart

Jul 31, 2007
Maybe I'm just blind/dim....but no CD option? I have about 450 CDs, and they are what I'd like to keep track of.
Otherwise: awesome. I love having a new app for my phone almost every day.:)

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe I'm just blind/dim....but no CD option? I have about 450 CDs, and they are what I'd like to keep track of.
Otherwise: awesome. I love having a new app for my phone almost every day.:)
I just added the book section, and I have had a few requests for CD's. I just thought, with iTunes, CD's would be kind of redundant.

Any specific feature requests/suggestions for the current version?

porktart

Jul 31, 2007
I just added the book section, and I have had a few requests for CD's. I just thought, with iTunes, CD's would be kind of redundant.

Any specific feature requests/suggestions for the current version?
I don't think it's redundant because I have plenty of CDs that I never import into iTunes. However, I totally LOVE that you can turn the icons off (as cute as they are).
Maybe be able to choose what categories display? For example, say I don't lend out my books, and/or don't care which books I have. So if there was a way for me to not even SEE the choice for books, it would save me screen space, etc.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think it's redundant because I have plenty of CDs that I never import into iTunes. However, I totally LOVE that you can turn the icons off (as cute as they are).
Maybe be able to choose what categories display? For example, say I don't lend out my books, and/or don't care which books I have. So if there was a way for me to not even SEE the choice for books, it would save me screen space, etc.
Alrighty, I'll get working on a Music category.

I will also try and add the feature to turn of tracking of certain media types.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

jwall

Jul 4, 2007
Alrighty, I'll get working on a Music category.

I will also try and add the feature to turn of tracking of certain media types.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Is there a way that we could type an ISBN or be able to search amazon to fill in the fields automatically?

I love it so far.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Is there a way that we could type an ISBN or be able to search amazon to fill in the fields automatically?

I love it so far.
That would be very nice, but I am unaware of how to connect to Amazon's service.

I really like the idea though, I'll look into it

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Hey guys, I have rolled out a few updates for Media Database lately.

However, I need some people to verify that in Version 1.21, that "Auto-suggest" works. If you have iPhone software version 1.0.1, head over to http://www.djkev.com/apps/iPhone.php and login/register and click on "Add Movies" or "Add Games."

Let me know if when you start typing a Movie or Game's title, a little box appears with suggestions of what that title might be. This also works for current authors in your book collection.

Thanks guys! :)