Check your calling area!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
People if you are with At&t you better check your calling area for 3g. I live in a city area near L.A. and I thought no problem of course I will be able to get it. I just checked on At&t's website and guess what? On my street and surrounding streets we are not in 3g area, other places in my city are but not where I live. You can actually type in your address and it will show you what data coverage you'll get at that address. Mine showed Edge only.
So experts here, does this mean I shouldn't buy the new iPhone? Input please.:(

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
You can buy the new iPhone, it will just default to EDGE coverage if 3G isn't available. If that's the only new feature, then you won't be gaining anything. If there's other features that you want, it will still work.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I checked mine and there is zero 3G coverage...just a lot of Good and Best coverage.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Charleston, where I'm moving, has excellent EDGE coverage,but zero 3G; I'm getting the 3G iPhone anyway. 3G will not be the only difference in it.

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got great 3G coverage both in Tampa as well as in Gainesville where I go for school. I will definitely be getting the new iPhone then. As has already been mentioned, if 3G isn't available then the phone will use EDGE as a backup so you won't really gain anything from getting a 3G phone unless it has other features you are interested in, such as true GPS, larger memory capacity and such.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Even if 3G is the only new thing in it, you should still weigh the need/desire for 3G. It will come in the future to where you live/work.

Joe

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I wouldn't worry about not having 3G at my home, I've got 802.11G in my home. I rarely go anywhere I haven't been able to get 3G, including: Houston TX, Gaveston TX (small town), South Padre Island TX (small town), Texas City TX (small town), Winston Salem NC (small town), Cumming GA (small town), Atlanta GA, Baton Rouge LA (small town).

3G works over the

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah I asked a question similar to this, and the poll said I should go head and go with the 3G iPhone 8to1, so definitely go with it cause theirs much more than just 3G added, "supposable"?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I wouldn't worry about not having 3G at my home, I've got 802.11G in my home. I rarely go anywhere I haven't been able to get 3G, including: Houston TX, Galveston TX (small town), South Padre Island TX (small town), Texas City TX (small town), Winston Salem NC (small town), Cumming GA (small town), Atlanta GA, Baton Rouge LA (small town).

3G works over the
hey... thats where i live lol :p

ive heard different things from different people about the 3g coverage around here.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
hey... thats where i live lol :p

ive heard different things from different people about the 3g coverage around here.
I'll be out at East Beach kiteboarding this afternoon. We'll try it from there. That is, if you have a 3G phone, I've only got an iPhone:eek:, but my old 3G phoned seemed to work fine.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'll be out at East Beach kiteboarding this afternoon. We'll try it from there. That is, if you have a 3G phone, I've only got an iPhone:eek:, but my old 3G phoned seemed to work fine.
wait.. what? :eek:? lol

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
People if you are with At&t you better check your calling area for 3g. I live in a city area near L.A. and I thought no problem of course I will be able to get it. I just checked on At&t's website and guess what? On my street and surrounding streets we are not in 3g area, other places in my city are but not where I live. You can actually type in your address and it will show you what data coverage you'll get at that address. Mine showed Edge only.
So experts here, does this mean I shouldn't buy the new iPhone? Input please.:(
Wild. Even in my po-dunk town of Conway, Arkansas, I'll have 3G coverage.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
yes, it's crazy, but I have been told AT&T is going to spend a lot of money expanding this service to reach more areas, so hopefully thats true.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
hmm, I just looked at the AT&T map out of their 3G network...not too many places are 3G ready, thankfully where I live there is service. It also brings be back as to why Apple didn't do it in the first place. Not great coverage. They went with edge cause its in most areas and of course battery life. its been less than a year since the last/first one appeared on the market, has battery technology really changed that much? I don't think so. Has 3G chipsets and GPS chipsets became smaller, not by very much. I know Apple has there ways, but don't be surprised if not all is included.......

another speculation is that they will have 2 new phone or two versions, an upgraded edge only phone and a 3g phone....its just a guess....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
wow... St Louis is bathed in 3G... i knew we had it, but i didn't realize it was so extensive...