Chicago iPhoners: how's the AT&T reception?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and gonna get an iPhone...switching over from Verizon.
Would like to see how the service/reception opinion is for those of you in the Chicago area who also switched over from other carriers...THX

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I work in the city and I get better reception with AT&T than I do Verizon in most cases, especially in my building where my Verizon phone hangs up on every call I get. So far I've only found a couple of dead spots on the train, very small ones. But in the city and not on the train I get great service.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I am just outside of Chicago, and I get good reception. Edge is a bit slow sometimes around 80-100 KPBS.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm getting get full bars when on the expressways and major streets.

I went to the dentist last week in Palatine and there was NO SERVICE at the office and in most of downtown Palatine. That is the worst I've seen it so far.

EDGE speeds suck. Oddly, in some places it seems almost double what I usually get.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I'm about 3 hours southwest of Chicago and the reception is great! LOL ;)

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
I'm in the NW Burbs. Reception was great and still is from day 1. Blows away the Razer POS. :)

Clyde099

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Reception is great in the city.
No complaints.
Edge is not that bad either.
I downgraded from a 3g cingular device and really can't complain about edge speeds in Chicago.

Starfire

Jul 4, 2007
About 35 miles SW of the city and great signal. I've had AT&T since they were AT&T the frist time before the Cingular merger and have never had a problem.

mletoski

Jul 10, 2007
About 35 miles SW of the city and great signal. I've had AT&T since they were AT&T the frist time before the Cingular merger and have never had a problem.
I live downtown by the lake and work out near Ohare awesome reception so far!

elite1096

Jul 15, 2007
CHICAGO
I live downtown by the lake and work out near Ohare awesome reception so far!

I live in Northwest suburbs of Chicago and so far my ATT reception is better than my LG enV with Verizon. Only thing I do notice though is a little bit of garble or static sometimes which is something I never got with Verizon. Other than that no dropped calls at all.

IPhone_Chica

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I live in Northwest suburbs of Chicago and so far my ATT reception is better than my LG enV with Verizon. Only thing I do notice though is a little bit of garble or static sometimes which is something I never got with Verizon. Other than that no dropped calls at all.
Hmm, I wonder if I was standing next to you in line on D-day. Anyway I stay Southwest of Chicago and my reception is fine.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks for the responses...didn't expect to have so many so fast.

Anyway, this relieves some of my fears and rumors of how "bad" AT&T coverage is in Chicago area... still waiting to hear from Chi-town folks who have bad experiences though...

RomeoSto

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Chicago IL
I stay in the southern suburbs of chicago I get better reception than I did with my sprint treo 700wx even on the express way when I went to champagne-urbana

SillyMe

Jun 28, 2007
Northwest suburbs and reception is good. Gave up Verizon a few years back due to dropped calls.