Child Proof App

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by itsmike2k, Jun 2, 2009.

1. itsmike2k

itsmike2k New Member

Does anyone know if there is an app that allows the iPhone to display only apps that you want your child to play? My son who just turned 2 plays with my wife's iPhone all the time. she has a lot of apps just for him to play but he likes to explore the other apps and sometimes deletes apps. So i was wondering if there is a App that allows her to lock out everything but his apps while he is playing. Thanks

Mike

2. ashwini

ashwini Member
    Bronze

I don't think so.... Maybe the darker side *Jailbreak*

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Passcode lock usually works for me.... :)

(just make sure you don't have the reset checked after 10 attempts :( )

4. itsmike2k

itsmike2k New Member

yes pass code works great for locking the phone but i want certain Apps available for him to play while he is playing. There is quite a few kid oriented learning apps that he loves! Its amazing how fast they learn, he knows to hit the home button to get out of apps, he knows to swipe to move from page to page, he can select his apps (and hers', thats the prob). I'll probably get him a Ipod but still would like the ability to lock out unneeded functions for him like internet, delete apps, etc..

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You can put restrictions on:

safari
    utube
    iTunes
    app installing in general (not deleting sorry... :( )
    camera

To go off topic.... the G1 offers quite a range of child apps for pleasing there attention.

There's a sketch app... would they like that?

6. itsmike2k

itsmike2k New Member

yes he likes those types of apps.. Right now he plays a puzzle app where he drags puzzle pces to the right spot. he also play the memory game where he matches animal faces on cards, there is a peekaboo farm animal game and some silly songs/videos that have been made into apps that he likes to watch.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

What about Bejeweled... or is that above your boy/girls age group?

It's fun and easy...?

8. xcissexc

xcissexc New Member

if you are jailbroken you could install lockdown or similar app which will ask for a password before opening apps that u choose to password protect

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Get that kid an iPod Touch! ;)

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Amen brother :p

11. itsmike2k

itsmike2k New Member

yes i plan on it, but it would still be nice to be able to pass code delete.. thanks for the help..

Mike

12. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

My daughter loves to play on the iPhone. She also like to stop videos we start for her, so she can delete apps. We have quite a few apps for her and she likes Adventure, and PBJTime, among others. I have the same problem though, everytime I get it back from her the icons are jiggling. I don't know that she has deleted an app though. She has got too close for comfort. She is 2 and has been playing with our iPhones since she was teeny-tiny.

13. itsmike2k

itsmike2k New Member

yes i figured it would be a common problem, I mean adults love playing with the iPhone so why wouldn't kids :).. So yes my wife's apps are always jiggling, moved and sometime deleted.. Well maybe a programer will figure out how to make this possible because even if i had a ipod touch i would like ability to limit what he can do like no move, delete, etc..

Mike

14. aknightstale41

Gold

They start so young...by 3 he might be setting up push, checking his email, conference calling his toddler buddies, and downloading some sesame street tunes.

15. Kuntry

Kuntry Member
    Bronze

I think this would be a great plug-in for SBSettings and have it grey-out apps that are blocked or lock the springboard to current page with a passcode unlock. My 6 year old daughter is begging for an iPhone however I'm not springing for an iPod touch so she's stuck with her firefly till she's more responsible. She can play tap tap on mom and dads phones for now. :p

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That's a good idea, that would be so simple to toggle as well. You maybe onto something there. Poof hides the apps- so the programming is there, it just needs tweaking ever so slightly.

Good idea.

17. fontaholic

fontaholic New Member

here here

i'd really like to see a 'toddler limits' app that turns on airplane mode, limits the page of apps the child can get to and sets a timer. my 2.5 year old son has actually taught adults how to use the iPhone. i still want him to be able to explore, but need the baby gate.

- fonts are friends, not food!

18. Duck

Duck New Member

Haha.
    Anywho... I don't think there are any apps of the sort, although it would be useful. Perhaps there's one in development as we speak :eek:

19. Paperclip

Paperclip New Member

My solution...

Apple seems to be really concerned about any app that limits or changes general functionality of the user interface, so I don't know if a 3rd party app for child-proofing iOS devices will ever be allowed (if anything, perhaps someday Apple will add a child-mode).

I've actually come up with a very inexpensive accessory designed to help keep kids from straying away from their intended game / learning app. If you're interested in knowing more, please come to my brand new website where the product will soon be sold: www.PaperclipRobot.com. Until the product is released (in a couple of weeks), you can sign up at the website to be notified when the product comes out. I really hope it will solve this problem for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners with young children. I never hand my 23-month-old son my iPhone w/o this product connected anymore.
    :)
    BTW, sorry this sounds a lot like an ad (I guess it kinda is). But I also think the product will be very much appreciated... And sorry I'm not explaining how it works, but until the product is out, I have to be careful no one tries to copy it.

20. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

How inexpensive?