China has CDMA iPhone, paves the way for Verizon iPhone?

RadME123

Jun 25, 2009
I posted a thread yesterday about whether or not the iPhone will move to Verizon, but today i learned two new things:

1. China already has a CDMA version of the iPhone?
Is this true?

2. Verizon CEO, said that it would be Apple's decision on whether or not it would build an iPhone for Verizon, does that mean there working on settling a deal?

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2009
2. Verizon CEO, said that it would be Apple's decision on whether or not it would build an iPhone for Verizon, does that mean there working on settling a deal?
What I think it means is this: Verizon has laid out the conditions for Apple and it is up to them to agree to them or the iPhone will not be coming to Verizon. I have no clue what those conditions but, given what Verizon has said in the past, they are probably not ones Apple can/will agree too. Therefore, I don't see a Verizon iPhone coming anytime soon.

As a Verizon customer this infuriates me. Verizon continues phones like the Storm and Omnia that are nothing more than lame attempts to imitate the iPhone. I can't wait until my contract expires with them so I can leave.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
The one thing with Verizon is that they want all their phones to have their own theme or their own software and of course you know one of the best things about the iPhone is it's software the way it is. At&t was the only one with a GSM network that was just like the ones around the world and AT&T let Apple do whatever they wanted with the iPhone. I think verizon wanted something done to the phone that Apple didn't agree with so they moved on.

mazdaboi

Jul 1, 2009
i believe verizon will never get the iPhone cause Apple will not let verizon put the VERIZON OS looking software on their phones. One reason why the blackberry's on other carriers are better then verizon. Yes i do have a verizon phone (motorola flip, work phone) but the communist verizon layout and operating system is junk.

AT&T has devices that are branded in their carrier, but are pretty much whatever the manufacture puts on the devices, they let slide. The AT&T/APPLE Handshake has worked well so far, i doubt it will change any time soon..... unless the possibility verizon ditches EVDO (3G)/CDMA and comes to GSM/HSPDA/3G

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It may eventually come to Verizon but definitely not until Verizon has their 4G network which will be GSM and not CDMA.

mazdaboi

Jul 1, 2009
Personally I think it will be an available device that will work on verizon when they transfer over to GSM off the CDMA network. Verizon keeps all their devices sold by them with their own OS and setup the way they want it with a verizon branded software package. (reason 1 why I don't like them) the AT&T /Apple deal currently says AT&T can't modify the phone ans AT&T has agreed on letting Apple do what ever they want with the device. This is where AT&T has the leg up on verizon.

Just my $.02

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Of course, the prospect of a carrier (and not platform) specific software store would be a major shift from the direction the wireless industry is currently headed. Writing about the news Tuesday, PC World’s Ian Paul speculated: “I think it's a safe bet that Verizon's app store will make it very difficult for the post-AT&T iPhone to make the jump to ‘America's Largest and Most Reliable Network.’”
Does that sentence make sense to anyone?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sure it does. It says once Apple is contractually not limited to AT&T, this new policy will make Verizon less tempting as another option.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
wow, what a poorly-worded sentence.

i guess proofreading has fallen by the wayside these days. too much writing, and not enough competent people to do it. Everybody's gotta get their word in... whether it makes sense or not...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Personally I think it will be an available device that will work on verizon when they transfer over to GSM off the CDMA network. Verizon keeps all their devices sold by them with their own OS and setup the way they want it with a verizon branded software package. (reason 1 why I don't like them) the AT&T /Apple deal currently says AT&T can't modify the phone ans AT&T has agreed on letting Apple do what ever they want with the device. This is where AT&T has the leg up on verizon.

Just my $.02
this is true for feature phones or dumbphones, but I've never seen a Blackberry, Treo, or really any other smartphone running verizon's OS. I've had a couple BB's and a Moto Q on verizon and they were free of verizon's crap.

I don't see this verizon app store thing making it to smartphones. If it does verizon will be shooting themselves in the foot. It will kill BB sales and sales of WM phones and the Pre if VZW was to get it as rumored. These are platforms that all are or will soon be built around app store platforms. BB already has app world, Palm is slowly rolling out the app catalog, and WM will have the marketplace. I'm hoping this is only going to be limited to dumbphones.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
this is true for feature phones or dumbphones, but I've never seen a Blackberry, Treo, or really any other smartphone running verizon's OS. I've had a couple BB's and a Moto Q on verizon and they were free of verizon's crap.

I don't see this verizon app store thing making it to smartphones. If it does verizon will be shooting themselves in the foot. It will kill BB sales and sales of WM phones and the Pre if VZW was to get it as rumored. These are platforms that all are or will soon be built around app store platforms. BB already has app world, Palm is slowly rolling out the app catalog, and WM will have the marketplace. I'm hoping this is only going to be limited to dumbphones.
I think folks are confusing Verizon OS with Verizon branded/themed skins. Verizon has branded themes for it's blackberrys but it still the RIM BlackBerry OS. Moto Q has a verizon branded skin but you can change it to the default windows mobile skin.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think folks are confusing Verizon OS with Verizon branded/themed skins. Verizon has branded themes for it's blackberrys but it still the RIM BlackBerry OS. Moto Q has a verizon branded skin but you can change it to the default windows mobile skin.
yep exactly. i've never had a problem with their smartphones other than their refusal (until recently) to include wifi. now their dumbphones on the other hand, there is basically nothing to differentiate the software on them for the most part.

Jul 15, 2009
boston
i think that verizon os sucks and the storm was horrible. the iPhone os is incredible and att just sells the phone they leave the building of the phone up to Apple they is why it is working so well