Chris: EIC iPhone template cookie issue?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I reset the Safari cookies/cache/history on my phone the other day, and since then I can not properly navigate the site. I seem to remember this happening to someone before, but I can't find the thread.

I get the iphone-format site, hit the classic button, login, then hit new posts... and it takes me back to the iphone-format site. I hit the new posts button there but it doesn't do anything.

Anything I'm missing?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
So I reset the Safari cookies/cache/history on my phone the other day, and since then I can not properly navigate the site. I seem to remember this happening to someone before, but I can't find the thread.

I get the iphone-format site, hit the classic button, login, then hit new posts... and it takes me back to the iphone-format site. I hit the new posts button there but it doesn't do anything.

Anything I'm missing?

Yes. It happened to me. You don't want to know how I fixed it....

You know what to do......(if you need a hint...it starts with the letter "r")

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Clear your cache, history AND cookies. That should do it.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Oh Dave, welcome to my world, I refuse to restore because it took me forever to get my phone exactly how I want it. So for now no EIC on the iPhone only on the computer until Chris finds a way to fix this problem.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you can search till the sun comes up but this was the only fix I could find. I blamed it on Chris and his "new" mobile site/version.. But then someone else had the problem like a month ago too so it's some coincidental combination of things that we did to cause this. Not the site. Very strange and Im just not computer literate enough to figure it out. If anyone can do it, it's you. Please keep this thread informed with whatever you're trying.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
^Cute avatar by the way.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I'm on it. Now that I know it's not just my phone, this is worth sorting out.

edit: agreed on the avatar :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I use the old format exclusively, and have restored a few times (since the new format was introduced) without any issues like that. I jailbreak, but install very few apps... mainly winterboard, scrobbler, and iPhone modem. Not trying to say it's user-error at all... just getting the data out there.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Every time I switch to the old format it takes me right back to the new one, over and over no matter how many times I switch, it won't stay on the old format.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Are you going into the UserCP and selecting the correct theme? That's how I've fixed it on mine. Since then, no problem...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Every time I switch to the old format it takes me right back to the new one, over and over no matter how many times I switch, it won't stay on the old format.
This is the exact problem. The only way I could fix this was through a restore process. I know you don't want to, but this WILL fix the problem.

On a side note, this has only happened once. I have since restored several times and this problem never came back. Good luck, guys( and gals )... Keep me informed on locating the root of this problem...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm going to try some things today and we'll see if we can find a solution. I'll keep you updated and will of course look for feedback from those experiencing issues with the mobile template.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Are you going into the UserCP and selecting the correct theme? That's how I've fixed it on mine. Since then, no problem...

I can't even do that. "Edit options" just takes me back to iPhone site. Almost everything does. And trying to do it there is pointless, as everything goes to the main screen. Nothing works.

I'm gonna go digging around via SSH...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I think I fixed it. It's possibly a user directory permissions issues. Somehow the cookies directory is not being properly written to.

The way I solved it was to use SBsettings (or Bossprefs). In the "extras" section is the option to "Fix User Dir Permissions"... that was it!

I'm willing to bet this has only ever happened to jailbroken people, so this fix should be doable.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I'm fairly confident problem is solved. iRovr was messed up for me, too. Now all is right with the world.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I know this sounds a little oversimplified, but the reason I recommended clearing the cache history and cookies is because I tried numerous times to just go back to the original view, and that actually solved it for me. I'm really not hallucinating. Really

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This has been temporarily resolved. Simply select your favorite mobile version (under Nav bar).

Enhanced is an ad-free, iPhone optimized version of the desktop version.
Light is the iPhone mobile version.
Desktop is for those who mistakenly clicked on one of the other formats.