Chrome Bezel Scratches on iPhone 3GS

ronak223

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
So has anyone else garnered some scratches/scuffing on their chrome bezels already? I seem to have already scuffed up my chrome bezel a bit, though you can only tell under certain light conditions. However, it still bothers me to no end considering I just got the phone 4 days ago. I came from the original V1 and am still surprised at how easy it is to mess up the bezel; I've taken meticulous care of my new phone and am honestly a little annoyed by the small scuffs along the bezel that are already beginning to show just because I slid it into my jean pockets a few times. Anyone else griping about this?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
This is just part and parcel of owning and using an iPhone 3gs naked. You should look into getting a case that covers all but the screen if you don't want anymore scratches.

I HATE getting those little scratches. Really annoys me, but I love the iPhone naked, and would rather put up with a few minor scratches than have to use a case

ronak223

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I have the incipio feather case for it, which covers most of the bezel. The part that it doesn't cover, however, do have little scratches that only show under direct light. I'm like you; I love the look of the phone naked, hence the minimalistic case I have that practically makes it seem like I have no case. I guess I'll just have to deal with the minor scratches. Thanks for the input Croucher.

clawsonj

Bronze
Dec 29, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I have the same case as you, the white feather case, and I have scratches too. I think snapping the case off and on does it because there's really no protection inside the case

ronak223

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I have the same case as you, the white feather case, and I have scratches too. I think snapping the case off and on does it because there's really no protection inside the case
That may be what it is...which is rather disappointing considering I absolutely love this case. I suppose I'll just have to deal with the little scratches.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I only have a 3G, but I scratched my chrome bezel last year when I accidentally dropped it. I had a Griffin Wave case on and it came apart on impact and my iPhone ended up on the concrete. While it did protect it from major damage, the bezel was scuffed up.

Although nice and shiny looks like you spent a lot of money, I hope Apple removes the bezel in the future and uses something more matted for the backing. That might upset iPhone case makers but it will make their product more durable and a better value in many people's eyes.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
So has anyone else garnered some scratches/scuffing on their chrome bezels already? I seem to have already scuffed up my chrome bezel a bit, though you can only tell under certain light conditions. However, it still bothers me to no end considering I just got the phone 4 days ago. I came from the original V1 and am still surprised at how easy it is to mess up the bezel; I've taken meticulous care of my new phone and am honestly a little annoyed by the small scuffs along the bezel that are already beginning to show just because I slid it into my jean pockets a few times. Anyone else griping about this?
The chrome bezel scratches on all iPhone models. Even with a case, the dust that gathers under the case will cause a few scratches. At least that's my experience.

ronak223

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Guess we can't nag about everything then, right? When all is said and done, the iPhone 3GS is still one amazing phone.

JimMayor007

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
say this funny youtube video, he use's a banana, don't think it can hurt :)

ronak223

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
hahahaha what the hell? There is no way I'm putting banana on my iPhone!

lbyprods

Jun 30, 2009
Bezel scratches

Apple has apparently heard our whining about the easily scratched bezel and shipped mine to me pre-scratched! Now I don't have to go through the terrible first scratch anxieties. They do think of everything! Yep, right out of the box, it was sporting little bezel blemishes...Who says customer service is dead?
:mad:

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
Even with a case, the bezel is going to scratch. Doesn't matter which one you use, it's going to happen eventually.

Once the chrome becomes too scratched, I suggest investigating the "scotchbrite" mod (search the forums, there are a couple different threads). It's takes about 20 mintues and leaves the bezel looking new, albeit different. I did this on my V1 and 3G, and have every intention of modding the 3GS when the chrome ends up getting to scratched for my liking.

Before anyone asks: I've exchanged 2 3G's with the mod, and no it does not void the warranty.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
say this funny youtube video, he use's a banana, don't think it can hurt :)
A banana eh? Odd...wonder what the science is behind that. I always use furniture polish to repair my heavily damaged CDs. Words of warning to anyone that may try this banana thing on their iPhone though, DO NOT use window cleaner...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Without a case, that bezel will scratch. It just takes on single piece of dirt in your pocket and your phone rubbing against it while you walk. This is the best alternative I've come up with.

Last edited by a moderator: