chrome bezel scratches?

Aug 27, 2007
alright so ive read a lot of threads about people complaining about how the chrome bezel around the iPhone gets real scratched up when left without a case. i had the same problem because i never used a case as i liked the naked look of the phone. I haven't really seen any great solutions besides buying some type of case to cover it up, or doing the whole "brushed metal mod". personally i like the look of the chrome along the outside and really don't feel comfortable taking sandpaper or steel wool to my $500 phone. i was in an auto parts store the other day and saw this stuff called "quixx scratch remover". it was like 13 bucks and looked pretty legit so i decided to try it out. HOLY s*** this stuff made my phone look brand new. it comes with like 2 bottles labeled steps 1 and 2 and you just use them in order (obviously) going up and down the chrome with a cloth. It basically just buffs out all the scratches. at first i really didn't notice anything and thought i had just wasted money, but after a couple applications the thing looked brand new. id imagine this stuff was available at any autoparts store. hope this helps everybody else whos as anal as i am when it comes to things like this. cheers.

TimmBxX

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
oh god me2.
im gonna have to try this out!

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
I just bought some scratch remover for my car, Brand is 3m, and it worked really well...on the car. Not sure if i wanna try it on the phone though.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
alright so ive read a lot of threads about people complaining about how the chrome bezel around the iPhone gets real scratched up when left without a case. i had the same problem because i never used a case as i liked the naked look of the phone. I haven't really seen any great solutions besides buying some type of case to cover it up, or doing the whole "brushed metal mod". personally i like the look of the chrome along the outside and really don't feel comfortable taking sandpaper or steel wool to my $500 phone. i was in an auto parts store the other day and saw this stuff called "quixx scratch remover". it was like 13 bucks and looked pretty legit so i decided to try it out. HOLY s*** this stuff made my phone look brand new. it comes with like 2 bottles labeled steps 1 and 2 and you just use them in order (obviously) going up and down the chrome with a cloth. It basically just buffs out all the scratches. at first i really didn't notice anything and thought i had just wasted money, but after a couple applications the thing looked brand new. id imagine this stuff was available at any autoparts store. hope this helps everybody else whos as anal as i am when it comes to things like this. cheers.
Interesting, thanks for this info Tones. Found this video on it but they don't seem to use it on any chrome of the car. You wouldn't have any before or after screen shots would you?
http://www.abtm.com/quixx.html

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Ooohhh, this is so not good for me...I was just learning to live with my scratched phone and be okay with it. :p I'm going to have to check this stuff out.

BTW, at which auto parts store did you pick this up?

Aug 27, 2007
Interesting, thanks for this info Tones. Found this video on it but they don't seem to use it on any chrome of the car. You wouldn't have any before or after screen shots would you?
http://www.abtm.com/quixx.html
sorry I don't have any before shots and I really doubt an after shot would help that much. I guess you just gotta trust me on it...I was worried about how this would work on the chrome as the box didn't mention anything about it. I guess what convinced me was the fact that it said it works on all paint jobs including metallic finishes. If your really that worried you could always just try it out on something chrome beforehand to prove to yourself its not gonna make things worse.

oh and i got this stuff at an advance auto parts store. its not on their online store which is weird, but im sure if you looked around you could find it.

Klassen

Aug 22, 2008
Scratches on metal ring

Wow, sounds good if you can polish with this car "quixx scratch remover".
But how do you avoid to put a small amount of polish on the glass itself? I supposse that the glass can get scratched from the "quixx scratch remover"?
Cordially
Klassen

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Can someone confirm this works? I don't want to end up damaging my iPhone without getting other people's results.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
did you take a before and after photo?

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Chrome polish is an abrasive and will remove light scratches. While doing so it will take microscopic chrome off too. Eventually wearing it down to the base metal. I wouldn't worry about that too much as the iPhone will more than likely have been consigned to a box in your garage by the time you rub off enough chrome... in other words, no serious damage done by polishing. If you are worried it is too adrasive, try a silver or brass polish which is much lighter but still give a good result. none of these will damage glass which is a much harder material than chrome!