chuck

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
anybody watch "chuck" last night on nbc? there was a scene in which a person received a text message and pulls out an iPhone but was holding it upside down. that is the second time i've seen on tv a person holding the phone upside down, pretty funny. just another prop i guess...

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Yes I saw this and pointed it out to my wife right away. I have seen this a few times on TV. I especially like the noises these iPhone's make when receiving calls, texts, and emails. There so off with the alerts and sometimes I can tell what type of phone they are really getting the sounds from.

Funny Stuff

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
the reason why they hold it upside down is to cover up the Apple icon. if they have no product placement rights, they could be held liable for any negative attention they may create... so they cover up the logo one way or another. and we can all agree that Apple is very litigious when it comes to protecting their IP.

unfortunately for macheads, this results in using the phone upside down to cover the logo with the actor's palm. i say unfortunate because most macheads fail to figure this out.

if you watch Iron Chef America, you'll notice the monitors used by Alton Brown (the announcer) are Apples, but the logos have been covered up. Apple has been known to sue over use of their products without their explicit written permission.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, they have been, though Chuck uses Apple stuff anytime they can. Did anyone else notice that the intersect a few episodes back looking strikingly similar to a Mac classic :)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Yup. Plus all the iPod references as well.
For instance, last night Chuck asked Morgan if he had any Rush, and I believed he said:
"yes man, it's all on my zune"
"your zuuune?!?" (imagine: disgust)
after a quick little moment of silence:
"Nah, just kidding, here's my iPod"

My god, product placement at its worst.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I've seen Stephen Colbert hold his iPhone upside down on his show, but whip out a MacBook, showing the Apple logo. So I don't think it's a product placement issue. I've also seen the iPhone held upside down on CSI:NY.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I noticed the iPhone on Entourage on Sunday too. It was even more bizarre how she had it right in a later shot.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
it's just a prop to them, they hold it up to their head, repeat their lines, and that's that. i was watching "operation repo" on TruTV, supposedly a reality show, anyhow this chick in the show was calling the police after an incident from a repossession. She makes the call from an upside down iPhone. So much for reality tv...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
it's just a prop to them, they hold it up to their head, repeat their lines, and that's that. i was watching "operation repo" on TruTV, supposedly a reality show, anyhow this chick in the show was calling the police after an incident from a repossession. She makes the call from an upside down iPhone. So much for reality tv...
LMFAO:p!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i answer my iPhone upside down all the time. handy trick when you don't really wanna talk to the other person, but don't want them to think you're avoiding them.