CID Adware

Status
Not open for further replies.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Good Day to Everyone

It is nice to be back (again).

I unfortunately downloaded something from Limewire (Rosetta Stone Japanese) that gave me the CID adware sickness.

How in God's name do I get rid of this S?

I am not a computer engineer and do not feel comfortable deleting lines of code (as suggested by many websites).

Any ideas

Thank you
Dana

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Stop using Limewire. Serves you right.

Many problems exist with Limewire. I have used it in the past but I, too, have been duped into downloading trojans...Screw limewire. I hate it.

I know this post doesn't help your problem. Wish I could help. Restore hard drive..? I guess that would be a last case scenario.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Dana,
Here's 2 free products that should take care of you.
1) is called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner. full system scan should take about an hour or so. Might be longer depending on how large and full your drives are.
2) is Avast! 4 Home scanner, which is a very indepth, low-level scanner that will get anything left. This can take hours to scan the full system with High level of security, but it is very very thorough.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Dana,
1) is called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner. full system scan should take about an hour or so. Might be longer depending on how large and full your drives are.
2) is Avast! 4 Home scanner, which is a very indepth, low-level scanner that will get anything left. This can take hours to scan the full system with High level of security, but it is very very thorough.
great signature. Sure to have the bleeding heart left wing wackos seeing red!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I recommend Adaware and AVG. I've never had any problems with these two free tools on my computer, and I visit plenty of unsavory corners of the interweb ;)

Welcome back Dana! And Hawk+OJ... Obama's scared of you guys, too :D

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
... And Hawk+OJ... Obama's scared of you guys, too :D
All of America (and probably a few dozen other nations) should be scared of letting him in office.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Whatever man, no politics. Strictly speaking, your signature is in voilation of the site TOS, but I'm not complaining nor do I really care. I'll just keep my mouth shut... let's not get into it eh...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Whatever man, no politics. Strictly speaking, your signature is in voilation of the site TOS, but I'm not complaining nor do I really care. I'll just keep my mouth shut... let's not get into it eh...
If it's in voilation, I'll change it.
I'm usually not very political. haven't voted since Bush Sr. took office. this time around though, it's a bit hard to ignore.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Discussion of politics is not allowed at EIC.

Dana, welcome back. Sorry to hear of your issue. I don't use a PC as my primary rig, but do run Kaspersky when using boot camp. Good luck.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Also, there's spybot search and destory. That's a pretty powerful tool that's free.

Abominogg

Bronze
Oct 19, 2008
If it's in voilation, I'll change it.
I'm usually not very political. haven't voted since Bush Sr. took office. this time around though, it's a bit hard to ignore.
Yeah, and it's 'Colonel', not 'Colonial'! LOL;)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Discussion of politics is not allowed at EIC.

Dana, welcome back. Sorry to hear of your issue. I don't use a PC as my primary rig, but do run Kaspersky when using boot camp. Good luck.
Yet we allow avatars like iCafe's which mocks the republicans but God forbid if someone says something about "the other guys".... just seems a little biased to me..

But whatever...I love EIC and will just steer clear of the subject altogether

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007

Good Day OJ

I know I know. Mea Culpa.
I have been using Limewire since it appeared and have never had a problem with it until now.

I have seen a few online solutions to CID but they seemed to be a little too complicated for me.

It is not hurting anything and I haven't had any problems, just annoyances.

But thank you for your interest and concern.

Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Dana,
Thank you Hawk.

Good to see you again.
I will be driving through Wilbraham this Friday, if I am not speeding too severely I will try to get a picture of the sign going west on the Pike.

I will download those products soon and let you know how things go.

Good Day

Dana

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007

Many problems exist with Limewire. I have used it in the past but I, too, have been duped into downloading trojans...Screw limewire. I hate it.

I know this post doesn't help your problem. Wish I could help. Restore hard drive..? I guess that would be a last case scenario.
do they ever?

anyways... go to google and get their apyware doctor... pretty good applictaion and efficient too... give it a try it might be just what you need, and if not, at least you tried and it would be free...

good luck.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The fact that OJ has been thanked 105 times show that his posts do help quite a few people and might speak for something.

Other than that I really have nothing to add to what the others have posted previously in regards to the anti-adware programs.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just gonna cut to the chase... OJ has said some pretty stupid things about latinos on this board. I'm guessing that's why this particular guy called him out.

Take the high road, OJ, and show him that you're a better man than he takes you for.

Jeez, Dana... you go away for months then show up and look at all the trouble you've caused already!

:D

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Just gonna cut to the chase... OJ has said some pretty stupid things about latinos on this board. I'm guessing that's why this particular guy called him out.

Take the high road, OJ, and show him that you're a better man than he takes you for.

Jeez, Dana... you go away for months then show up and look at all the trouble you've caused already!

:D
lol...no thats not why...

this is why... but lets not take it out of proportion now.. :) be cool :p

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Doh. Nevermind. OJ's just an ass. Carry on, then. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.