Cingular Blackberry to AT&T iPhone... possible activation issue identified...

Jun 30, 2007
I just got off the phone with AT&T Support. The lady that I spoke to said that the "activation requires additional time" message in iTunes may be because my current (pre-iphone) Cingular phone number was for my Blackberry 8800 and that phone number (obviously) has a Blackberry Data Plan associated with it. iTunes is bascially attempting to activate the iPhone with my account that has this data plan on it and it is conflicting with the iTunes activation. She "removed" that Blackberry data plan on my account and said that I should watch my email for a message. While no time frame could be provided, she did say that this seems to be the issue--as iTunes activation process is not able to "remove" features from you current account (that is why if you are already with AT&T that you really cannot change your voice plan.

I'd be curious to see if the other people who are having these sort of issues with delays in activation are also switching from a Blackberry.

Perhaps Apple and AT&T thought that people that are heavy Blackberry users would not switch immediately to iPhone due to lack of being able to receive BES emails.

Please chime in so (if this is the issue) we can document it and hopefully help AT&T and Apple realize that this is a HUGE issue.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I am switching from a normal Samsung phone, no data plan and I have the message.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am switching from a normal Samsung phone, no data plan and I have the message.
I don't have a data plan, either. My problem seems to be with porting my old phone number.

One poster said you can get a supervisor to cancel your activation, start over with a new number and have the old one ported at a later date. You just need to be able to get a supervisor (waiting for 30 minutes for that, now).

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I switched from a Blackberry with a data plan and it took 3 + hours to complete activation

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I don't have a data plan, either. My problem seems to be with porting my old phone number.

One poster said you can get a supervisor to cancel your activation, start over with a new number and have the old one ported at a later date. You just need to be able to get a supervisor (waiting for 30 minutes for that, now).
I am a long time AT&T customer just switching phones and have still been waiting 11 hours... so I don't think its anything with porting your number.

perk

Jun 30, 2007
Waiting 10 hours, I have a Blackberry data plan.

Funny, I thought that this activation through iTunes would allow no way for Cingular to screw this up, wrong!

Originally, customer service told me I would have use of my Blackberry until the iPhone activated. Wrong!

As soon as I hit the submit button my BlackBerry said "SIM card Rejected". Currently, I have NO PHONE SERVICE. I have been holding on the 800 number for 47 mins.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hmm, I have a text plan as well. Did you get yours working yet?
Naaa. I talked with four different people last night at that 877-800-3701 number. They finally told me to take it back this morning. That's what I'm going to do as soon as my kids get dressed. The fourth person I talked to said the SIM might be defective. I don't think that's true, but I'm going to let my AT&T store handle it. If they can't get it to receive and place calls today, then I'm going to ask for my money back or an exchange. Either way, I'm not leaving their until it's making and receiving phone calls. If they can't do that, then I'll get my $641 back. I know they said there was a 10% restocking fee, but they can't charge me that for a defective device.

Sad that it turned out this way. Any device this expensive should have been activated in the store before leaving.

Jun 11, 2007
My switch from the blackberry 8700

only took about 20 minutes, and that was for everything. It ported my old phone number to the new phone, added contacts, the calendar, all email, and iTunes. i am not saying this to be a jerk, just noting that it did work perfectly for some of us. I had 1350 minutes before with unlimited data and additional text messages. Sorry you had a problem.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I'm over 13 hours waiting on activation right now.:(
Sorry to hear that. I remember thinking to myself in line yesterday "man things have gone smooth" Get home and have some activation issues, not as bad as most, and think AT&T really dropped the ball. Nobody can answer questions when you call or tehy just give you wrong info

Yes, their servers are slammed, but did they know know a TON of people would be activating after 6pm est on the 29? They did and were not ready

rose

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Naaa. I talked with four different people last night at that 877-800-3701 number. They finally told me to take it back this morning. That's what I'm going to do as soon as my kids get dressed. The fourth person I talked to said the SIM might be defective. I don't think that's true, but I'm going to let my AT&T store handle it. If they can't get it to receive and place calls today, then I'm going to ask for my money back or an exchange. Either way, I'm not leaving their until it's making and receiving phone calls. If they can't do that, then I'll get my $641 back. I know they said there was a 10% restocking fee, but they can't charge me that for a defective device.

Sad that it turned out this way. Any device this expensive should have been activated in the store before leaving.
Agreed. I might have to give them a call this morning.

comncense

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm having a weird problem. I had a Blackberry prior to the iPhone also, along with the data and text plan attached to it. It took me about 4 or 5 hours to get the "Activation Complete" email, however after I synced the phone and everything, the phone service still isn't working on the iPhone. Luckily the blackberry is still working so I can still make and receive calls, but I don't understand why it didn't switch when the activation completed.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have a discount on my cingular blackberry that prevented me from activating online.

Only the biz center can remove it and they are closed on the weekends.

I just activated as a new customer and I will go to the AT&T store on Monday and get it straighted out.

Jun 30, 2007
Can someone please copy/paste the link in the second email that you need to click on to continue to move forward in iTunes with activation?

comncense

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Can someone please copy/paste the link in the second email that you need to click on to continue to move forward in iTunes with activation?
The link just launches iTunes again and sends some variables that's related to your account along with it so you wouldn't be able to use someone else's link.