Cingular Store Comment

jme

May 14, 2007
I have visited 2 Cingular stores in Atlanta, GA pretending that I have not heard about the release date. They say it will be released in June, but it will be released online first. Then, both of the reps said "We have heard bad stuff about the first release. You may want to wait until the 2nd generation one." Also, one of the reps said that Cingular doesn't offer insurance for PDAs. WHAT? How unreal? I am currently a Verizon customer waiting for this release to try Cingular. Anyone willing to wait to get the 2nd generation?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
How could they really know anything about the first release. Noone has it yet. The information they got could be from people who tried it hands on HOWEVER the ones currently out didn't have all the features. They probably just wanted you to leave them alone and stop asking questions.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Speaking of Cingular, does anyone know what the standard iPhone cell plan would cost per month (specifically to use the phone and internet capabilities of the iPhone)?

I think, as a general rule of thumb Cingular has great rates and very user friendly/easy to figure out so I hope the cellphone plans with the upcoming iPhone are just as easy...

Let me know if anyone has their ear to the ground about this, thanks!

May 6, 2007
United States
Speaking of Cingular, does anyone know what the standard iPhone cell plan would cost per month (specifically to use the phone and internet capabilities of the iPhone)?

I think, as a general rule of thumb Cingular has great rates and very user friendly/easy to figure out so I hope the cellphone plans with the upcoming iPhone are just as easy...

Let me know if anyone has their ear to the ground about this, thanks!
As of now, I don't think there has been any official mention on rates for the iPhone. I am sure they will announce it soon, though, so I will keep watch for it and post it here if I find anything on it.

Sorry I'm not of much help at this point.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
eh not so much rates but I heard from a rep that the phone would probably retail for 700 no contract. I know as well as everyone here this is just speculation.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
How could they really know anything about the first release. Noone has it yet. The information they got could be from people who tried it hands on HOWEVER the ones currently out didn't have all the features. They probably just wanted you to leave them alone and stop asking questions.
I've seen this type of non-sales response from salespeople who are not fans of Apple.

eh not so much rates but I heard from a rep that the phone would probably retail for 700 no contract. I know as well as everyone here this is just speculation.
Could that really be possible? Would Cingular really allow the phone to be sold without a penny going to them? :eek:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well they could be getting the difference in price, they buy for 500 sell for 6.. Buy for 6 sell for 7 etc. Even though they will get them for much cheaper. I believe it costs around 250/300 to make the iPhone.

rpbphoto

May 10, 2007
Warranty from Apple?

I have visited 2 Cingular stores in Atlanta, GA pretending that I have not heard about the release date. They say it will be released in June, but it will be released online first. Then, both of the reps said "We have heard bad stuff about the first release. You may want to wait until the 2nd generation one." Also, one of the reps said that Cingular doesn't offer insurance for PDAs. WHAT? How unreal? I am currently a Verizon customer waiting for this release to try Cingular. Anyone willing to wait to get the 2nd generation?
I am hoping that they provide a way to get Applecare on the iPhone. Just keep Cingular out of that part of the hardware entirely.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Cingular doesn't have many rocket scientists typing in those activations. Take it from someone that worked there; most of their employees don't come to work until last bell rings.

If you get a hold of a manager or district manager, they can actually tell you some things about the cellular industry.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Cingular doesn't have many rocket scientists typing in those activations. Take it from someone that worked there; most of their employees don't come to work until last bell rings.

If you get a hold of a manager or district manager, they can actually tell you some things about the cellular industry.
I think you are going to get better answers just my reading online. Those people who work in the stores are at the bottom of the food chain and don't know anything.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
I think you are going to get better answers just my reading online. Those people who work in the stores are at the bottom of the food chain and don't know anything.
I will say though, that my experiences with employees at Apple retail stores has been quite good and their employees seem to know what's going on with the products and other useful info...

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
If you go to the Apple stores, they know a lot more about it.

Most people that work in the cingular stores don't know anything at all about it, unless they want one themselves. :D

May 6, 2007
United States
If you go to the Apple stores, they know a lot more about it.

Most people that work in the cingular stores don't know anything at all about it, unless they want one themselves. :D
This is true. I called a local Cingular store recently, and they literally started screaming complaints about how it doesn't have 3G and how it will break so easily at me. My ear still hurts! :D

I then called Apple and they calmly told me exactly what I already knew. I gave it a shot, but it looks like we will have to wait until WWDC :(