Clarification of 2 year extension

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I post this because I'm not sure if the other thread answers it completely. Hopefully it will help others as well.

Basically here's the situation:
-In a family plan with 2 other phones.
-Only I want a an iPhone, and I want to keep my same phone number obviously.
-Our contract has been expired for over a year and a half.

So;
-When I get the iPhone, can I stay on the family plan? ( I realize that this may not be known yet).
-With the 2 year contract, are all of the phones on the family plan going to be extended that long?
-The plan is not in my name, so I probably should have the person there who's name it's under there?
-If I have to get my own plan and decide to get off of the family plan, is it like a new customer, and am I going to get charged all of the fees and could I keep my same number?
-All this talk about the SIM cards, if they use the SIM that comes with the iPhone, can I still keep my number?

Thanks.

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I don't think it's very complicated. I'm still on contract in a family plan, but I think you can just buy the phone... keep your number... and get the data plan.......? I don't know what would make buying it any different then buying something else with a 2 year contract.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Some people have said there will be no contract extension others have said there will be. The AT&T guy today said there would be.

Assuming that EVERYONE gets two more years, then yes your entire family plan would be under a two year contract. Since yours is expired it would be two years.

For someone who is maybe under contract with 6 months left, they might end up with 30 months under contract.

If you want to keep your same number and such, I am not sure there is a good way to do it. I don't know their policy of porting numbers from one AT&T account to another. If you can get a new number, just set up a new account, get the iPhone by itself, get a two year contract with that, and cancel your additional line on the old account. That way you would have 1 account with the iPhone and 2 years, and another account with 2 phones and no contract.

But again, I don't know if you would be able to move your number, my guess is they would not let you.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Some people have said there will be no contract extension others have said there will be. The AT&T guy today said there would be.

Assuming that EVERYONE gets two more years, then yes your entire family plan would be under a two year contract. Since yours is expired it would be two years.

For someone who is maybe under contract with 6 months left, they might end up with 30 months under contract.

If you want to keep your same number and such, I am not sure there is a good way to do it. I don't know their policy of porting numbers from one AT&T account to another. If you can get a new number, just set up a new account, get the iPhone by itself, get a two year contract with that, and cancel your additional line on the old account. That way you would have 1 account with the iPhone and 2 years, and another account with 2 phones and no contract.

But again, I don't know if you would be able to move your number, my guess is they would not let you.
Makes sense, but I can't believe that they wouldn't be able to transfer a number. If they can transfer a number between carriers (Verizon to ATT and vice versa), they should be able to transfer my number to the new iPhone plan. All of this speculation is driving me nuts.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
From what i've gathered, your plan resets if you add something to it. So maybe adding the data will restart your 2 year contract?

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Existing customer 2 year extension

So let me get this straight;

-get iPhone from AT&T store on Friday (hopefully). Basically just walk in and buy and leave.
-get home and log into iTunes and connect my iPhone.
-enter my phone number and pick my data plan ( I am an existing customer).
-all of the phones on the family plan that I'm on are now under a 2-year contract.

That doesn't seem that difficult.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
From what i've gathered, your plan resets if you add something to it. So maybe adding the data will restart your 2 year contract?
For typical MediaNet plans, you can drop and add it without incurring a 2 year extension.

Seems like this will not be the case with the iPhone, which will require the unlimited data plan.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I post this because I'm not sure if the other thread answers it completely. Hopefully it will help others as well.

Basically here's the situation:
-In a family plan with 2 other phones.
-Only I want a an iPhone, and I want to keep my same phone number obviously.
-Our contract has been expired for over a year and a half.

So;
-When I get the iPhone, can I stay on the family plan? ( I realize that this may not be known yet).
-With the 2 year contract, are all of the phones on the family plan going to be extended that long?
-The plan is not in my name, so I probably should have the person there who's name it's under there?
-If I have to get my own plan and decide to get off of the family plan, is it like a new customer, and am I going to get charged all of the fees and could I keep my same number?
-All this talk about the SIM cards, if they use the SIM that comes with the iPhone, can I still keep my number?

Thanks.
You'll only have a two year extension on the number with the iPhone plan. That's it. The other two lines will stay completely contract free and eligible for equipment upgrade discounts.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
My husband had to replace his phone last year and we are on the family plan. Basically, what happened was that his contract was extended two years and mine remained the same. So, right now, I'm eligible for an upgrade and he's not.