Class action lawsuit filed against Apple

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so are you supporting the plaintiff or what? just seems like a big waste of money imo, plus i really don't have too many complaints. nothing is ever 100% perfect and this girl is going to spend more money on this lawsuit than she can possibly get out of it. definite uphill battle if you ask me. i'm all about proper marketing and telling the truth, but i don't think anything has been blatantly done to harm anyone. i'll be watching this closely.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I am supporting her 110%. I don't think it will go far, but I applaud her for officially taking the first step.

If you read my blog, about what Apple store managers told me, what ATT has told me, my you tube videos, etc..... you would understand my frustration.

I guarantee if this wasn't addressed, either class action or with a fix, I would have done it myself.

Already looked into it, just too soon for ME to take action, but if someone else is going for it, GREAT.

These are just my opinions....

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
Ok, I never bought the first Gen, and I've only had the 3G for a couple of days, but I've never had such a unique, easy friendly, fun, etc phone. Mind you, I've had four different PDA's and neither one of those phones compare to this iPhone. I too feel this lawsuit wont go far, but it just sounds like another form to just *****...sorry for the langauge but I don't see the point. If you don't like the phone get another one. Simple as that. Plus, it's probably cheaper than paying attorney fees....idiots.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Your're entitled to your opinion.... If for some reason a week down the road you realize your phone may defective, at least you know somthing is being done about it.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'm not knocking the effort, if you aren't satisfied and feel you have been misled then by all means go for it. i think far too many people let stuff go without a fight. i have no reason to be upset with the iPhone, and i think Apple is just too big to even have this really show up on their radar screen. its not like anyone is forcing us to buy these things, if we don't like it just return it within 30 days. there is definite fine print somewhere in the contract that will get this ushered out of court within days. just my opinion though and i wish you all the luck.

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
Your're entitled to your opinion.... If for some reason a week down the road you realize your phone may defective, at least you know somthing is being done about it.
haha...you are right. It is my opinion. Funny part is I did have a defective iPhone and I'm on my second in 3 days. You know what I did with the defective phone? I replaced it with a new one. :D

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
It was just a matter of time before something like this happened. I just think that too many people are getting fed up with the promises Apple made and the phone itself is still in beta mode. Sure a lot of people are happy with it, but you have to understand, when you pay for something, you EXPECT it to work as advertised.

I myself isn't too happy with the iPhone, but I'm not mad either, so I'm in the middle. I do agree the class action is not gonna do anything much except give the lawyers a big fat paycheck. I also think that if you're not happy with the phone, you should of taken it back, you had 30 days to decide on it. Maybe after six months and the phone is still buggy or whatever, then I can see a class action lawsuite. That's my opinion.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
So uh, have all these complainers actually just attempted to return their phones and then been refused a refund? Because that's what you do first when you buy something that you think you haven't gotten your money's worth on. Only a dishonest person wishing to take advantage of a large company would turn to a lawsuit before simply attempting to return the product.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
I hear you....

My problem, and Apple knows this (they are counting on it while they beta test the phone on us), is that iPhone is just so darn cool. I can't give it up, just like the thousands if not hundreds of thousands other unhappy customers.

Sure some have taken the phone back... but man, I've been waiting for this 3G iPhone since January. To wait in line in 90* weather for 3 hours, spend an hour trying to activate, spending endless hours on support lines with Apple / ATT, and being on my 4th phone....COMBINED with all the dropped / missed calls..... and the fact that the device is really that neat and, oh ya....I almost forgot, Apple said it was twice as fast!

I can't think of a good metaphor, but it's just not right.

Not to mention all the other research I have done....other phones side by side driving around all day. Visiting different ATT towers in my area for testing.. my blog, you name it I've spent time on this out of pure ummm... I don't even know...

It's just not right!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The only thing that surprises me is that this didn't happen sooner. I am as big a fan of Apple as anyone, but this phone is bad-was brought out too soon- and is a PR nightmare for Apple. If you have a 3G that preforms well, good for you. But a lot of people are looking through rose colored glasses and accepting this phone with it's shortcomings.
Weather this suit goes far or not, it may be what it takes to light a fire under Apple and get them to really do something. This article states that Infineon is in charge of developing a fix for the reception issues and may take several months to do so.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
So uh, have all these complainers actually just attempted to return their phones and then been refused a refund? Because that's what you do first when you buy something that you think you haven't gotten your money's worth on. Only a dishonest person wishing to take advantage of a large company would turn to a lawsuit before simply attempting to return the product.

I'll tell you one thing, I won't, and don't want to, be a part of anything taking advantage of anyone. I just want a working phone.

Sure maybe I lost a 9k deal due to missed call from an out of state prospect due to the phone, that's why I have second line now.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
I'll tell you one thing, I won't, and don't want to, be a part of anything taking advantage of anyone. I just want a working phone.

Sure maybe I lost a 9k deal due to missed call from an out of state prospect due to the phone, that's why I have second line now.
how did you miss a deal due to a missed call? even if you didn't have service and your phone was shut off, has the out of state prospect ever heard of leaving a voice mail?

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
how did you miss a deal due to a missed call? even if you didn't have service and your phone was shut off, has the out of state prospect ever heard of leaving a voice mail?
Well, when you are a Realtor in today's market and an out of town prospect leaves you a voicemail with info and a call back request, and you don't get it for 3 hours, there is a good chance that person called the next Realtor in PDX and well, you get the point.

In this market, you have to be there almost before your prospects. It's tough out there.

This is a real example of somthing that happened, on Sunday. Would I ever ask for damages? Heck no, I'm not like that.

But when it's feast or famine, everything counts.... no telling where that phone call could have ended up, but where it did end up was with me returning the call and the prospect having already been grabbed by another Realtor.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
well that sucks, but if i'm buying a house i think i would wait a little longer than 3 hours to move on to another realtor. houses are usually a drawn out process and aren't made on decisions based on 3 hours of thinking. i'm glad you would never ask for damages because you would get slapped in the face and laughed at for trying to bring that point to the table.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Well, you are what every Realtor would like!

Think of it like this.... You're surfing the web, looking at homes in PDX, your in TX...you're finally to the point where you want to get some info on a house you just saw online. You search for a Realtor, call that Realtor, no answer. You want instant gratification, information, on what you just found online (the house). Why wait?

Heck, you have a hundred Realtor's numbers right in front of your face, all with the access to the same info.

It's different even if you have had even one conversation, but if there is not that initial contact you have to be quick.

Heck, I'm notified by txt message instantly if someone emails any info from my website.....

Again, would never expect any money for this, I just want a working phone and am hoping, not banking on, hoping that this will just put a bit more pressure on Apple.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007

You're would have a world of a time proving that this wasn't AT&T's fault.

I'm sure there's something in your contract that acknowledges not being able to get reception.

This seems like a fruitless endeavor. Return your phone. I've owned a Tilt and a Blackberry for small spurts in the year that I have owned my iPhone. I keep coming back because I actually like the phone.

This would be easier to accomplish if the plantiff wasn't asking for some kind of compensation as was mentioned in the article. You ask for the phone to be fixed or your money returned, and it doesn't make you sound like a gold digger....oh, wait, that scenario is called a refund.

*smacks forehead*

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
You're would have a world of a time proving that this wasn't AT&T's fault.

I'm sure there's something in your contract that acknowledges not being able to get reception.

This seems like a fruitless endeavor. Return your phone. I've owned a Tilt and a Blackberry for small spurts in the year that I have owned my iPhone. I keep coming back because I actually like the phone.

This would be easier to accomplish if the plaintiff wasn't asking for some kind of compensation as was mentioned in the article. You ask for the phone to be fixed or your money returned, and it doesn't make you sound like a gold digger....oh, wait, that scenario is called a refund.

*smacks forehead*
Not quite following you..... Ummm I am simply supporting the plaintiff in an effort to get a working phone.

I, honestly, am past my 30 days and Apple will now NOT take my phone back. I don't want to take it back, I want it to work like advertised. Is that too much?

Anyways....why would I take my phone back to Apple when I could Ebay it for 600.00 plus?

I'm not as rich now as I was last year, in terms of money coming through the door..... but I still have enough to play around with, plenty.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
well that sucks, but if i'm buying a house i think i would wait a little longer than 3 hours to move on to another realtor. houses are usually a drawn out process and aren't made on decisions based on 3 hours of thinking. i'm glad you would never ask for damages because you would get slapped in the face and laughed at for trying to bring that point to the table.
Good example of pure diversion and rationalization of a company and product that just flat out is DEFECTIVE ....for WAY more than the 2% Apple has the audacity to claim.
(I'll continue trying to type as my screen face jumps all over the place,btw)

It's not just the fact that this device does not deliver as promised ('more bars in more places', twice the speed half the price'...etc)....it's a COMMUNICATION device.....peoples LIVES/BUSINESS often hinge on basic communication. (yeah , 'just leave a voice mail man, my phones not working'!)

Class action lawsuits are perfectly justified, and, a high powered firm could make impact.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Good example of pure diversion and rationalization of a company and product that just flat out is DEFECTIVE ....for WAY more than the 2% Apple has the audacity to claim.
(I'll continue trying to type as my screen face jumps all over the place,btw)

It's not just the fact that this device does not deliver as promised ('more bars in more places', twice the speed half the price'...etc)....it's a COMMUNICATION device.....peoples LIVES/BUSINESS often hinge on basic communication. (yeah , 'just leave a voice mail man, my phones not working'!)

Class action lawsuits are perfectly justified, and, a high powered firm could make impact.
my god how did our parents ever live without iPhones? a high powered firm isn't going to take this on because they know its a dead end. if it had any chance of making anyone money, changing how the iPhone works, or anything positive, then it would be all over and Apple would be under fire. it just isn't worth the time and money because it is based on people's opinions and "he said she said". prove to me your iPhone doesn't work that well is what they will say, and you will be SOL. saying "oh i missed an important phone call last week" is not sufficient.