Class action lawsuit filed against Apple

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Rocky, leave your mark on my site under the latest post.

I have over 1000 votes, 77% ( I believe) are having problems. I have started a section for people who will support the lawsuit. Just post your name and your willingness and check back.

I have contacted the plaintiff and attorney so hopefully I will here back.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Good example of pure diversion and rationalization of a company and product that just flat out is DEFECTIVE ....for WAY more than the 2% Apple has the audacity to claim.
(I'll continue trying to type as my screen face jumps all over the place,btw)

It's not just the fact that this device does not deliver as promised ('more bars in more places', twice the speed half the price'...etc)....it's a COMMUNICATION device.....peoples LIVES/BUSINESS often hinge on basic communication. (yeah , 'just leave a voice mail man, my phones not working'!)

Class action lawsuits are perfectly justified, and, a high powered firm could make impact.
More bars in more places is for AT&T, not Apple.

Twice as fast, half the price? Yep you guessed it, here is the disclaimer on the bottom of the same website where Apple advertises this, as well as at the bottom of their commercials:

"Comparisons between iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) running on EDGE. Actual speeds vary by site conditions."

This is going to get laughed at and the plaintiff is going to be out of a lot of money, on top of looking like a jackass. There's a return policy for a reason, and if the iPhone was so bad then you should have seen that rather quickly. There is no false advertisement going on here. It is an iPhone, with the ability to get on the 3g network.

I don't see the problem. If you're dissatisfied with a product and haven't attempted to get the company to compensate you on their own accord, then you are a lunatic for taking them to court about lost money.

pdx, there are plenty of working phones out there. If it isn't this, go pick up any of the phones you had before last month.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
not saying the suit has a chance in hell.
Don't care.
It's the principle of the action.
Warranted.
People have committed to a 2 yr $2500 plus contract to a device that's relied upon in this day and age way more than the previous post wants to recognize.
It is failing many.
Take it to the company...regardless of outcome.

pdxrealtor

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
my god how did our parents ever live without iPhones? a high powered firm isn't going to take this on because they know its a dead end. if it had any chance of making anyone money, changing how the iPhone works, or anything positive, then it would be all over and Apple would be under fire. it just isn't worth the time and money because it is based on people's opinions and "he said she said". prove to me your iPhone doesn't work that well is what they will say, and you will be SOL. saying "oh i missed an important phone call last week" is not sufficient.

I can prove it, all day every day. And I'm not talking missed calls.

The iPhone has weak 3G reception, period. Anyone who wants to drive around for a day with me, or a week with any smart phone or any other ATT 3g phone will have the case in point ....PROVEN.

I'm out on my way out, to go eat Sushi. WITH both my 3G phones, one iPhone (wanna be phone) one rock solid att 3G Samson blackjack! LOL...

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I have to say I do not support the Law Suit. Everything in life has flaws.

MaximumPC October issue has an exclusive on Microsoft's $6 billion failure. Microsoft bares all, telling us what went wrong with Vista and how they fixed the problems.

That is all I want from Steve Jobs, is to respond to the Public and provide a fix or at least say something about the problem. Over a month and no response from Apple, 2 updates and only minor bug fixes. How many people actually work for Apple? Its like they have one programmar and he seems lost.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Rocky, leave your mark on my site under the latest post.

I have over 1000 votes, 77% ( I believe) are having problems. I have started a section for people who will support the lawsuit. Just post your name and your willingness and check back.

I have contacted the plaintiff and attorney so hopefully I will here back.
having that many votes speaks nothing. if you have ever taken basic statistics it is a term called bias. it is the same reason why any survey based on service is more likely to get negative feedback than positive. people who are upset with something voice their opinion, while people who are satisfied generally could care less and go on with their every day activities.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
not saying the suit has a chance in hell.
Don't care.
It's the principle of the action.
Warranted.
People have committed to a 2 yr $2500 plus contract to a device that's relied upon in this day and age way more than the previous post wants to recognize.
It is failing many.
Take it to the company...regardless of outcome.
Service Cancellation
You may cancel service within 30 days from the activation date to avoid the early termination fee of $175. Thereafter the fee will decrease by $5 each month for the term of the agreement. You will be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges through the termination date. AT&T will refund your activation fee, if any, if service is terminated within 3 days of activation.
You may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with the service before your account will be cancelled. If you are allowed to cancel service within the 30 day return period, but do not return the equipment within the return period, AT&T may charge you an amount equal to or up to the full retail price of the equipment.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Yep, take the flipping phone back. And get out of your $2500 2 yr contract, all at the same time!

For you people who are so businesss savvy and dependent on your phones for your livelihood, you surely are quite masochistic.

Why would you not choose to stop losing all this money and instead get a phone that makes you happy?

You're right, perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to say. If I wasn't happy with something and it "cost" me almost $10,000 dollars then I surely would not keep the phone and support a frivolous lawsuit based solely on principle.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile

The iPhone has weak 3G reception, period. Anyone who wants to drive around for a day with me, or a week with any smart phone or any other ATT 3g phone will have the case in point ....PROVEN.

I'm out on my way out, to go eat Sushi. WITH both my 3G phones, one iPhone (wanna be phone) one rock solid att 3G Samson blackjack! LOL...
have you ever taken a look at the AT&T coverage maps? getting 3g reception is not guaranteed everywhere, and not to mention if you are upset about your coverage that is an issue with AT&T not with Apple. just because it is an iPhone 3g doesn't mean you get 3g coverage EVERYWHERE you are.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I am with you on that. I can still prove dropped calls with update 2.0.2. My wife just ask me at lunch (7pm) why I hung up on her.

I do noticed most of my dropped call are while I am driving, but had e few while walking around places.

At least I have good 3G reception at home and work (live next to and work at DFW APO)

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Here's something else to make this even more frivolous:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/08/20/analyst.on.bold.vs.iPhone/

The analyst also notes that the BlackBerry (Bold) suffers from the same problems of the iPhone, including 3G connection problems; the device will frequently drop 3G in favor of a slower, 2G EDGE link when downtown. Suva speculates that the flaw may likewise stem from rough software and that AT&T may have delayed its launch primarily to stabilize 3G performance.

That's going to make this one tough to prove against Apple, huh? All kinds of doubt whether this is AT&T or Apples' fault.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
have you ever taken a look at the AT&T coverage maps? getting 3g reception is not guaranteed everywhere, and not to mention if you are upset about your coverage that is an issue with AT&T not with Apple. just because it is an iPhone 3g doesn't mean you get 3g coverage EVERYWHERE you are.
Irving, TX is on the Map and has been for years and yet I have a lot of dropped calls now with my 3G when I am there on businesss. Never had an issue with my HTC 8525 or my CU500 prior to my iPhone.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Whatever happened to company's that first and foremost valued they're customers and customer satisfaction.
I assumed I guess that Apple had that value....I guess because they made products that worked?
But unless Apple makes some kind of gesture in the very near future, then based on they're complete lack of acknowledgment to their customers concerning the problems with this release then, in my eyes they are a lowbrow company relative to customer service ethics.
That's how class action suits begin...and are warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so what do you claim the 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 updates were for? obviously they have no intent on fixing any issues by releasing these updates?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Interesting suit...and thread, good luck realtor, its usually the people who take some action and protest a bit about something that gets the attention of those in charge of PR.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Apple hit with class-action lawsuit over iPhone 3G flakiness

From Ars Technica:

"We all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time. A lawsuit has been filed against Apple over what the plaintiff is referring to as the "Defective iPhone 3G," which she hopes will become a class-action complaint. Alabama resident Jessica Alena Smith filed the complaint yesterday against the iPhone maker, alleging that the new iPhone's 3G performance and reliability has been subpar, despite the claims made by Apple's aggressive marketing campaign. Considering that a true fix has yet to be issued for users' 3G problems, this could just be the tip of the iPhone lawsuit iceberg."

When done reading that article, have some fun over here with this "Reality Check".

Edit to add:
Oops! Sorry, I see that another thread had already been started on this topic:

Last edited by a moderator:

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Look here everyone. I've found an even more compelling class action suit we can all jump in on. I just realized that by reading this forum, this thread actually, I missed out on an opportunity to buy a winning lottery ticket! Dammit, the quality of the posts in this thread alone is not what the website promises "everythingicafe.com" This is supposed to be all about the iPhone. But SOME posts don't even MENTION the iPhone. That's not "EVERYTHING". Many posts contain inaccurate information about the iPhone. Very misleading. I'm feeling pain and suffering here. I could have gotten a second degree for all the time I've wasted here, be making millions of dollars as a doctor or something. Who's with me?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Fisrt I would like to mention iPhone 3G if it hasn't been mentioned yet, LOL.

Maybe if I get fired from my job due to lack of sleep because I read hundreds of post and countless of websites I can sue, too.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I hope she (and the other class members) win. It would definitely make companies such as Apple think twice before rushing to market with inferior products, just to meet deadlines.

As the adage goes, "it is less expensive to get it right the first time, than to fix it later". They should have delayed the release of the iPhone 3G (and related technologies) until they got all the kinks worked out.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jul 14, 2008
The funny thing in this lawsuit, the only winners will be the lawyers. They get fatter. I mean fatter. And their heads get kinda big too. Funny how that works.