Class action lawsuit filed against Apple

Breeze

Aug 16, 2008
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, a city of 1 million people, in Australia, obviously. I have had the iPhone for a month, and I have had no problems, whatsoever with 3G coverage. So the problems reported here are not iPhone problems but carrier problems (AT&T?) I am using Optus, and have always been able to have 3G coverage. If Adelaide can do it then seriously, EVERY place in the US should be fine, unless AT&T are screwing up.

Jul 14, 2008
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, a city of 1 million people. I have had the iPhone for all of 1 month, and I have had no problems, whatsoever with 3G coverage. So the problems reported here are not iPhone problems but carrier problems (AT&T) I am using Optus, and have always been able to have 3G coverage. If Adelaide can do it then seriously, EVERY place in the US should be fine, unless AT&T are screwing up.
Well here in Denver Colorado, my 3G service is 98% perfect. At work tonight, I was showing up my new app called EarthScape. It was having trouble loading maps under edge, so I switched on the 3G. The maps loaded almost instantly. I think he is moving towards upgrading his original iPhone to a 3G, it works that good!

And yes, I have two white iPhones, both purchased 30 days apart. NO problems on either one. I'm loving it!

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
I can prove it, all day every day. And I'm not talking missed calls.

The iPhone has weak 3G reception, period. Anyone who wants to drive around for a day with me, or a week with any smart phone or any other ATT 3g phone will have the case in point ....PROVEN.

I'm out on my way out, to go eat Sushi. WITH both my 3G phones, one iPhone (wanna be phone) one rock solid att 3G Samson blackjack! LOL...
I wonder...when you buy a television or some other high price product, and it underperforms, do you sue? Or perhaps return it and move on? Seriously, you must be very bored. I can't fathom why you would keep the POS you have and whine about it constantly. You have figured out now it doesn't do what you thought it would when you bought it. Even if all you say is %100 true, vote with your wallet and return the thing. IT'S A PHONE! Breathe in, breathe out, move on...

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Look here everyone. I've found an even more compelling class action suit we can all jump in on. I just realized that by reading this forum, this thread actually, I missed out on an opportunity to buy a winning lottery ticket! Dammit, the quality of the posts in this thread alone is not what the website promises "everythingicafe.com" This is supposed to be all about the iPhone. But SOME posts don't even MENTION the iPhone. That's not "EVERYTHING". Many posts contain inaccurate information about the iPhone. Very misleading. I'm feeling pain and suffering here. I could have gotten a second degree for all the time I've wasted here, be making millions of dollars as a doctor or something. Who's with me?
Lol....i think they are targeting the fact that the advertising is misleading...twice the price at half the price. oops, i better say iPhone:laugh2:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I hear you....

My problem, and Apple knows this (they are counting on it while they beta test the phone on us), is that iPhone is just so darn cool. I can't give it up, just like the thousands if not hundreds of thousands other unhappy customers.

Sure some have taken the phone back... but man, I've been waiting for this 3G iPhone since January. To wait in line in 90* weather for 3 hours, spend an hour trying to activate, spending endless hours on support lines with Apple / ATT, and being on my 4th phone....COMBINED with all the dropped / missed calls..... and the fact that the device is really that neat and, oh ya....I almost forgot, Apple said it was twice as fast!

I can't think of a good metaphor, but it's just not right.

Not to mention all the other research I have done....other phones side by side driving around all day. Visiting different ATT towers in my area for testing.. my blog, you name it I've spent time on this out of pure ummm... I don't even know...

It's just not right!
This was all your choice to do. Lots of things don't work as advertised. I mean, things right down to dish detergent don't work as advertised. On the commercials, it breaks down grease so fast and then you get it home and it does nothing. Okay, it's not as expensive as the iPhone, but still....same theory.
I mean, I've gone through countless shampoos and products in my life and none of them have made me a super model yet ;) Should i file a class action law suit because my hair doesn't shine or I don't look like the girls on the commercials? When does it end?
If you don't like something, return it. Apple is replacing phones. Get yours replaced. It's not like they're saying "You bought it, now you're stuck with it!" They are replacing phones from what I'm reading in this forum.
I mean, I lost service completely switching from 3G to Edge...was I happy? No. Am I gonna sue Apple cause I was inconvenienced? No!
Everyone in society today thinks that they are owed something.
And I'm sorry, but why do you have so much time to do all this stuff? wow!

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
This is exactly what is wrong with America. This moron should be counter sued. At they very least, when her case is thrown out, she should have to pay Apple for their legal expenses.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
this is exactly what is wrong with this country. Once her case is thrown out for stupidity she be forced to reimburse all expenses Apple incurred defending itself.

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I have to say I do not support the Law Suit. Everything in life has flaws.

MaximumPC October issue has an exclusive on Microsoft's $6 billion failure. Microsoft bares all, telling us what went wrong with Vista and how they fixed the problems.

That is all I want from Steve Jobs, is to respond to the Public and provide a fix or at least say something about the problem. Over a month and no response from Apple, 2 updates and only minor bug fixes. How many people actually work for Apple? Its like they have one programmar and he seems lost.
I agree with this one hundred percent. Also it does drive me nuts that Apple won't speak. They just sit there quietly hoping no one will know anything. I think they don't like or want others knowing they have a problem with the 3G but like every new device not everything is 100%. Just speak instead of keeping us waiting.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
This was all your choice to do. Lots of things don't work as advertised. I mean, things right down to dish detergent don't work as advertised. On the commercials, it breaks down grease so fast and then you get it home and it does nothing. Okay, it's not as expensive as the iPhone, but still....same theory.
I mean, I've gone through countless shampoos and products in my life and none of them have made me a super model yet ;) Should i file a class action law suit because my hair doesn't shine or I don't look like the girls on the commercials? When does it end?
If you don't like something, return it. Apple is replacing phones. Get yours replaced. It's not like they're saying "You bought it, now you're stuck with it!" They are replacing phones from what I'm reading in this forum.
I mean, I lost service completely switching from 3G to Edge...was I happy? No. Am I gonna sue Apple cause I was inconvenienced? No!
Everyone in society today thinks that they are owed something.
And I'm sorry, but why do you have so much time to do all this stuff?

wow!
'everybody today thinks they're owed something'...
How myopic can one get...
Ummm, when you pay for goods or services, you ARE 'owed something'.....

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Yes, you are...you are owed that service. You are not owed a lot of money for "pain and suffering and inconvenience." Especially when you can take it to a store and get it replaced.

Sorry...but was that lady who was dumb enough to put hot coffee between her legs really justified in her lawsuit? don't tell me she was. Shes the dummy.

People are also suing VW right now cause the price of replacement keys is so much money. Come on! Don't lose your key.

The people who bought the iPhone are owed the service, yes, but nothing more. If they're not getting the service, they have the right to end, get a new phone, whatever they feel is necessary. But they are not owed tons of money.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
And just to add-on....

other people think the same thing is wrong with society today...not just me.

Read through the thread.

Wait, I'm going to go sue Pantene now because my hair is not shiny and beautiful and I don't look like the girl on their commercial. This is causing me pain and suffering and costing me countless hours of therapy :rolleyes:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Also, based on your reasoning, I have a right to sue AT&T because I'm paying for 3G service on my iPhone 3G but I don't live in a 3G area. I'm paying for a service that I do not receive given my location. So should I sue AT&T cause they haven't updated fast enough? I'm *entitled* that service, I pay for it.

It was my choice to buy the iPhone 3G. I knew I didn't have 3G service, but that I would be paying the extra $10 a month for it. I had that knowledge and I still bought the phone cause I wanted it.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Talk about frivolous. Hope this gets thrown out.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I also laugh at an overlatigious culture myself, but I also believe in a company being responsible.
Unfortunately this company has put out 100's of 1000's of defective units.
I've HAD mine replaced and the lags, and failure to disconnect and connect with 3G persists as it does with MANY folks..go to Apple.com logs.
If Apple doesn't respond by providing units with the problematic Infineon chips either 'reprogrammed' or replaced (don't timely responses, and accountability mean anything anymore?)....then folks start thinking of legal leveraging, even if it's in principle. Large sums of money, no, psychological stress, no....but, implications (only) of bug fixes (ineffective), and Jobs suggesting a two month timeframe is in order now.....all cleverly have folks keeping them longer than the 30 days....and locked into the contracts.
The Atlanta lawsuit is now VERY common knowledge...all images Apple doesn't want.
If they won't do anything to effectively address they're customers then it should be no surprise that some customers do something about it.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
But, if Apple is working on a fix (which I'm pretty sure they are), I would rather them take their time with the fix and get it right, then throw together a quick fix and have things worse than before.

A lawsuit is not going to change the time it takes to come up with a fix and fix it....correctly.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
so are you supporting the plaintiff or what? just seems like a big waste of money imo, plus i really don't have too many complaints. nothing is ever 100% perfect and this girl is going to spend more money on this lawsuit than she can possibly get out of it. definite uphill battle if you ask me. i'm all about proper marketing and telling the truth, but i don't think anything has been blatantly done to harm anyone. i'll be watching this closely.
I doubt the plaintiff will end up paying much for this. She most likely found a lawyer who will do the work for free and just take a large percentage of the proceeds. Apple is guilty of false advertisement

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I have to say my 3g is almost perfect. It will crash occasionally texting, on safari, or some apps. ( generally because i haven't turned it off for days) I have dropped a couple calls but overall with this iPhone when i have only 1 or 2 bars the call quality is as good as when i have 5 bars. My V1 iPhone with one or 2 bars would drop the call EVERY SINGLE TIME

I hope this lady understands that when her lawsuit is laughed out of court she will be responsible for Apples court cost and lawyer fees and she should just hope she doesn't get sued for filing frivilous lawsuits

I am pefectly happy with my 16gb white iPhone except that my wife and I both have a small crack in the exact same spot on both White iPhones
but if thats the biggest issue i have i believe i can live with it

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I doubt the plaintiff will end up paying much for this. She most likely found a lawyer who will do the work for free and just take a large percentage of the proceeds. Apple is guilty of false advertisement
Not really....the phone probably does do everything they say when it's working correctly, which for some, it is. It cant be false advertisement for some and not for others.

M

molly

haha...you are right. It is my opinion. Funny part is I did have a defective iPhone and I'm on my second in 3 days. You know what I did with the defective phone? I replaced it with a new one. :D

wow.... so cool so fast for replaced

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
So uh, have all these complainers actually just attempted to return their phones and then been refused a refund? Because that's what you do first when you buy something that you think you haven't gotten your money's worth on. Only a dishonest person wishing to take advantage of a large company would turn to a lawsuit before simply attempting to return the product.
Maybe this person feels it is the only way to get Apple to take notice to the problems that are occuring. Someone said earlier that this wouldn't even be a blip on their radar. Wrong! Bad press is never a good thing. Apple will notice this with every gadget and tech website reporting it. I for one have been mostly happy with the phone, but it has crashed on me way too many times and I wasn't a tech savvy person, aka my wife, I would be lost on how to fix it. I doubt this woman will win a large amount of money, but hopefully it will light a fire under somes asses.