Class action lawsuit filed against Apple

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Based on your theory, why do states have a "Lemon Law"? If you buy an automobile and it is in constant need of the same repair for the first few months, you are entitled for compensation in many states. Why? Because at one point many people had sued the manufacturers and dealers to the point where the states had to get involved. Like you said, the iPhone is not as expensive as an automobile, "but still....same theory".
In your argument you stated that the car is "in constant need of the same repair for the first few months." The iPhone 3G is 6 weeks old...just over a month and yes, it needs the same repair, but they haven't tried to repair it yet. Let them try and repair it and then if the problem persists, then maybe you have grounds.....

It takes a little longer than 6 weeks to come up with a fix this big. Sorry, it does.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
So, if a company is selling paint full of lead (which is illegal in the U.S.) and I get poisoned, the company can say, "Well, you had 30 days to return the paint (with receipt, of course), you shouldn't have used the paint and simply returned it." ? I don't think so.

selling an iPhone that isn't up to YOUR standards isn't illegal, unlike in your scenario. just because you arent happy with your purchase, doesn't mean Apple has done anything illegal or even anything wrong (considering im a VERY happy customer, as my iPhone has worked perfectly since the day i bought it)

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
In your argument you stated that the car is "in constant need of the same repair for the first few months." The iPhone 3G is 6 weeks old...just over a month and yes, it needs the same repair, but they haven't tried to repair it yet. Let them try and repair it and then if the problem persists, then maybe you have grounds.....

It takes a little longer than 6 weeks to come up with a fix this big. Sorry, it does.
In the mean time people are paying anywhere from $70-120 a month or 840-1400 a year for a product that doesn't work as it should.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
selling an iPhone that isn't up to YOUR standards isn't illegal, unlike in your scenario. just because you arent happy with your purchase, doesn't mean Apple has done anything illegal or even anything wrong (considering im a VERY happy customer, as my iPhone has worked perfectly since the day i bought it)
what's the deal with the name calling? people have a right to their opinion. I am glad your phone works perfectly, but for a very large number of us, there has been a lot of problems. I personally have had to recover my phone 4 times over the last 6 weeks and am a little disappointed with the stability of the OS. I left windows mobile because I thought Apple had their crap together. I love the phone, but feel Apple should be more upfront with their customers and get this resolved. If threatening them with a lawsuit is the only way to get their attention, then all the power to this lady.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Alright, all you wannabe lawyers (and I've never claimed to be one, by the way), every now and again I receive class-action letters asking me to become part of the suit. I also receive letters for me to stake my claim of cases that have either been determined or settled. And no, these are not junk mails, these are legitimate class-action suits that have either the plaintiff winning or both parties settling. Either way, evidently I'm entitled to damages in some cases.

For example, Time Warner cable sent me a claim form because they settled a class-action suit of selling subscribers' personal information for marketing purposes. As with many cable companies, I'm not tied into a long term contract, only month-to-month. Did Time Warner tell me "tough luck...you could have canceled your subscription after the first month"? No.

Did Firestone Tire Company tell the hundreds of thousands of customers that they could have returned the tire for a pro-rated refund before they experienced a tire failure and your Ford Explorer flipped over? No.

You know, I'm just saying'.

If you haven't had any problems with your iPhone, that's great, but there are many folks that do have fundamental issues with theirs. So, do them all a favor and get out of their way so that they can eventually get a working phone. Give them a break!

Oh, and by the way, my iPhone 3G works great. From Day 1 to the latest update, my device is fine <eye-Fone knocks on wood>. I just feel for those that buy technology and have problems using it. Not all customers are as savvy (technology and consumer-wise) as we would like them to be.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Those are also scenarios that are not contiuous problems for a consumer and also caused personal harm (obviously moreso with the tires).

The iPhones long term problems are not a one time thing. They are a dissatisfaction with a product. Those 2 analogies aren't directly related to the issue. There was no dissatisfaction with the tires or the cable before the one isolated incident occurred. If your cable only came in in black and white or your tires became deflated in a couple of days, then you would seek a refund, not sue.

Why has no in addressed the article that I posted where att is not releasing the new blackberry due to the same issues the iPhone has? This may not be Apples fault.

I have also yet to see any justification where Apple falsely advertised anything.
Alright, all you wannabe lawyers (and I've never claimed to be one, by the way), every now and again I receive class-action letters asking me to become part of the suit. I also receive letters for me to stake my claim of cases that have either been determined or settled. And no, these are not junk mails, these are legitimate class-action suits that have either the plaintiff winning or both parties settling. Either way, evidently I'm entitled to damages in some cases.

For example, Time Warner cable sent me a claim form because they settled a class-action suit of selling subscribers' personal information for marketing purposes. As with many cable companies, I'm not tied into a long term contract, only month-to-month. Did Time Warner tell me "tough luck...you could have canceled your subscription after the first month"? No.

Did Firestone Tire Company tell the hundreds of thousands of customers that they could have returned the tire for a pro-rated refund before they experienced a tire failure and your Ford Explorer flipped over? No.

You know, I'm just saying'.

If you haven't had any problems with your iPhone, that's great, but there are many folks that do have fundamental issues with theirs. So, do them all a favor and get out of their way so that they can eventually get a working phone. Give them a break!

Oh, and by the way, my iPhone 3G works great. From Day 1 to the latest update, my device is fine <eye-Fone knocks on wood>. I just feel for those that buy technology and have problems using it. Not all customers are as savvy (technology and consumer-wise) as we would like them to be.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yah, the issues i have heard mainly are software issues (which is being addressed by software updates, 2 of them already since the release) and bad reception, which would be on AT&T, not on Apple.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
which would be on AT&T, not on Apple.
I noticed you always say AT&T, yet infion the chip maker is working on a resolution for reception and it has been stated that other 3G phones don't have that issue. Some people even said they got better reception with the 2nd update.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Justify AT&T waiting to release the Bold when it has been released in a number of other countries, when they say they have the same issues.

Show me where Apple falsely advertised anything.

Show me what prevented you from gettig a different phone.

This is still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

iMeth

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
i laugh at all the defenders.... and i co-sign this guy
@flabyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzcallmeg0d

what's the deal with the name calling? people have a right to their opinion. I am glad your phone works perfectly, but for a very large number of us, there has been a lot of problems. I personally have had to recover my phone 4 times over the last 6 weeks and am a little disappointed with the stability of the OS. I left windows mobile because I thought Apple had their crap together. I love the phone, but feel Apple should be more upfront with their customers and get this resolved. If threatening them with a lawsuit is the only way to get their attention, then all the power to this lady.

Last edited by a moderator:

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
In the mean time people are paying anywhere from $70-120 a month or 840-1400 a year for a product that doesn't work as it should.
Anyone stupid enough to continue paying for a product that isn't working is a fool. Why would you do that? Mine works flawlessly, but if it didn't, I'd return it. Whining just seems so weak. What have we come to? Very wimpy.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Anyone stupid enough to continue paying for a product that isn't working is a fool. Why would you do that? Mine works flawlessly, but if it didn't, I'd return it. Whining just seems so weak. What have we come to? Very wimpy.
Careful with the name calling. Just because it was hypothetical doesn't make it ok since there are obviously people who fall into your criteria for being a fool.

Granted, I hope that I haven't messed up myself. I still maintain that the lawsuit is dumb, but have refrained (I think) from directly attacking anyone.

This is actually a decent debate we have going on here and I would rather not see it end.

If I'm guilty myself, call me out. This is the most entertained I've been on this forum in a while.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
yah, the issues i have heard mainly are software issues (which is being addressed by software updates, 2 of them already since the release) and bad reception, which would be on AT&T, not on Apple.
I was just reading this on EIC Blog

a link to USA Today article

Apple (AAPL) acknowledged Tuesday that a software update for the iPhone partly fixes the connection snags that have caused a global firestorm for the new iPhone 3G.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20080820/tc_usatoday/AppletriestodebugiPhone

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
Careful with the name calling. Just because it was hypothetical doesn't make it ok since there are obviously people who fall into your criteria for being a fool.

Granted, I hope that I haven't messed up myself. I still maintain that the lawsuit is dumb, but have refrained (I think) from directly attacking anyone.

This is actually a decent debate we have going on here and I would rather not see it end.

If I'm guilty myself, call me out. This is the most entertained I've been on this forum in a while.
Thank you for a good post. I take your point and agree %100

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hell yes! I'm from Birmingham myself! Where do we start the march? I've got my pickett sign waiting. I want a replacement this instant!

Hehe, "replacement", get it?

Oh and btw Pepe, you must have a faulty can of axe there, mine's providing plenty of coverage.;)

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
On a more serious note.

I hope that Apple resolves all of these problems soon and if At&t is at all to blame they should do the same.

I feel sorry for you all that are having so many problems and I hope that you are able to either get a replacement or get it fixed. I know that has GOT to be frustrating having a new toy to play with and it not performing as well as hoped while more than most folks are having no issues whatsoever.

I'll finally be getting my iPhone in january and I hope that everything is smoothed out by then as I've been waiting for my iday since June 29th 2007.

As far as this lawsuit? I don't believe it will go anywhere but can atleast hope it will gain the attention of Jobs and maybe push some answers out the door. I agree with all the replies that we should of atleast heard something from Jobs himself by now about known issues and what they are doing to fix them. yes, there's rumors of the chip being updated in a couple months, bah, I wanna hear it from "the man".

Good Luck you all and thanks for the rather entertaining thread.:p

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
I don't know what to think, Apple products are overpriced and the only way to defend that is giving customers stylish products and quality. It's clear IMO that at least the quality is lacking with the 3G, it's not just the coverage....it's about the cracking issues and the buggy software etc.

For me Apple deserves the problems and they clearly rushed the 3G iPhone.......The iPhone V1 is the way to go for the 'standard user'.