Classical Music

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
So I finally found a song I've been looking for for a long time and thats "Cello Suite No. 1 in G Minor" by Bach and I was curious if you guys had any other recommendations for classical music outside of Bach, Rachmaninov or anything interesting by Beethoven. I love basically anything on piano, or violin/cello.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
So I finally found a song I've been looking for for a long time and thats "Cello Suite No. 1 in G Minor" by Bach and I was curious if you guys had any other recommendations for classical music outside of Bach, Rachmaninov or anything interesting by Beethoven. I love basically anything on piano, or violin/cello.
The 1812 Overture has a couple of good ringtones in it......
George Winston or Nat King Cole on keyboards are great starts...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Vivaldi cuts nice on the small speaker

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons Spring Allegro
Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Allegro
Beethoven: 9th Symphony
Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I also love Holst's "The Planets"... especially Jupiter!

Edit: I just fired this one up on Seeqpod... haven't heard it in ages. Maaaan is that a powerful piece! Check it out... you've probably heard pieces of it before... especially the "love theme"

the Boston Pops version is impressive.

H

Hayesimus

mendelssohn's spring song is a fave of mine. There's also Night on Bald Mountain although i don't know if its ringtone-worthy. That or In the Hall of the Mountain King.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm a fan of the impressionists... especially Debussy (La Mer, afternoon of the fawn) and Ravel ("string quartet in F major", Bolero).

Bach's preludes and Goldberg variations are classics...

some modern guys i really like are Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck (although classical banjo isn't for everybody), Mark O'Connor, and Yo-yo...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hehe... click on my signature. It's a video of one of my favorite guitarists playing that on a harp guitar. Beautiful piece, for sure.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you everyone for all of your responses! I've downloaded as many of the songs as I could find, keep em coming! :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Richard Wagner's (pronounced Rikard Vagner) Walk of the Valkerie is awesome, Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is sweeeet. Carmen, the opera by Georges Bizet is cool as well.

H

Hayesimus

oh the blue Danube song. Whats it called?

H

Hayesimus

I think its actually called something longer, lemme look...

The Blue Danube is the common English title of An der schönen blauen Donau op. 314 (At the Beautiful Blue Danube), a waltz by Johann Strauss the Younger, composed in 1867. Originally performed 9 February 1867 at a concert of the Wiener Männergesangsverein (Vienna Men's Choral Association), it has been one of the most consistently popular pieces of music in the classical repertoire. Its initial performance was only a mild success, however, and Strauss is reputed to have said, "The devil take the waltz, my only regret is for the coda—I wish that had been a success."
The waltz originally had an accompanying song text written by Josef Weyl. Strauss adapted it into a purely orchestral version for the World's Fair in Paris that same year, and it became a great success in this form. The instrumental version is by far the most commonly performed today. An alternate text by Franz von Gernerth, Donau so blau (Danube so blue), is also used on occasion.
The sentimental Viennese connotations of the piece have made it into a sort of unofficial Austrian national anthem. It is a traditional encore piece at the annual Vienna New Year's Concert.
It is reported by composer Norman Lloyd in his "Golden Encyclopedia of Music" that when asked by Frau Strauss for an autograph, the composer Johannes Brahms autographed Mrs. Strauss's fan by writing on it the first few bars of the Blue Danube. Under it he wrote "Unfortunately not by Johannes Brahms."

H

Hayesimus

I heart Copy and Paste. for real. iPhone needs to get it!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
The finale of Shostakovich's 5th Symphony is nice as well.
I was going to post the Shostakovich's 5th is one of my favs! I love the duet between the flute and the french horn, but I cannot remember what movement that is, so I am listening to it now!