Clean-up before activation

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Bunk009, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Like many of us, I plan on activating my new iPhone 6 tomorrow when it arrives.

I'm kinda crazy and get nervous about when I restore all my settings/apps from iCloud.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to make sure not to carry over any unnecessary stuff from my iPhone 5 to the new device? A good way to clean everything up so I'm keeping my new device as new as possible?

Back in the day I remember starting a new MacBook pro and when I booted for the first time I chose to carry over everything from my iMac. It was great for settings and bringing over certain applications, but it also brought over a lot of nonsense I didn't want and from the get, the machine ran more slowly.

I want everything to carry over like contacts alarms etc but I also want to make sure things are as fresh and wonderful as possible. Out w the old and in the the new.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Set it up as a new phone. I never restore new hardware from backups made on old firmware. I like to start fresh once a year. I think this helps minimize problems. It takes a few hours to get it all set up, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

3. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Very wise words, thank you. So will you just reenter all your contacts and stuff? What about photos, notes,etc? Will you redownload all your apps too?

No problem w the tediousness of it but wanna make sure if there isn't an easier way

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I've set it up from a previous backup a lot and never really have problems. That being said, with new devices I still prefer setting it up as new. To me, it's fun setting it all up again - gives me an excuse to play with it more. Just sync with iCloud and do everything else manually.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Wish I had the courage to start as new. I like having all my old Text messages on my iPhone from the beginning. I need to keep the progress of my games and all my Notes and other info on various Apps so I usually just restore from back up. I've never taken the set up as new plunge.

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the reminder ... I'm overdue for a clean install. I haven't set up an new since I stopped jailbreaking a few years ago. Will have to do a restore for a few days until I can get to it next week.

7. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I have done both in the past. But this time I will set up as new.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

My notes, bookmarks, & contacts always sync automatically. I assume because I have that turned on in iCloud & syncs when I sign back in on the new device. As for pics my laptop asks to download pics when plug my phone in so I have folders with all my pics. To put them on the phone I open iTunes & just sync photos.

9. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Thanks so much. So before you put anything on the 6 you'll plug in old device to iTunes and it'll ask you to import photos? Then I can selectively choose what to bring on the new device?

#novice

Clearly I'm not syncing via plugging into laptop enough.

Thanks for help.

10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

There's a prompt on my laptop that asks if I want to import photos & other things when I plug in but it's not iTunes related. After I import photos to whatever folder I can then open iTunes with the new device plugged in & click on the photos tab. You can sync those folders from there.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Notes, bookmarks, contacts, etc all sync through iCloud. Your apps, music and videos will sync through iTunes or the cloud. Your picture folders will sync through iTunes. Your camera roll pictures can either be put in a folder and synced or put in DropBox and copied over. You have to input all your settings.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm kind of concerned. After I sold my 5 and went back to my 4S it would not sync with iTunes. I'm wondering what the chances are that if I restore the 6 from the 4S backup that this problem will persist. Frankly, the thought of setting up as a new device wears me out!! :eek: