Clean up iPhone 5's cache?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by altjx, Feb 23, 2013.

1. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I just did a backup of my iPhone 5 to iTunes, and dragged all of its backed up files to my Backtrack Linux system. Upon looking at some of the files within Backtrack, there were tons of pictures I had deleted from the phone since first getting my iPhone...

So now this has me curious. Where in iFunBox can I deleted cached files such as these? I understand that of course things can be recovered via data recovery scanning applications, but I'd much rather at least get the cached files deleted.

I mean, there are even pictures in this backup from MMS messages I've deleted long time ago too.

In addition to giving me advice on deleting the cached file, I am curious to know as well if doing a factory restore would get rid of these cached files.

2. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

I am sure restoring the iPhone deletes the cache for sure. I have done it multiple times myself.

I have also read that iOS 6.1 has squashed a bug where it wouldn't permanently delete the deleted files.

Sent using iCafe app

3. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your reply. Going to look a bit further into this. I'm a bit curious now if any of my pictures were in my previous iPhones I've sold, even after deleting and restoring them...

4. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

While selling an iPhone, always dfu restore the iPhone. It sees to it that it's completely formatted.

Also on a side note, I have seen that over a period of time iOS accumulates some junk and affects the performance. Yes, technically it's not supposed but it does. I just got done with formatting the phone and manually installing the apps. I was facing the battery issues when I was restoring from back up. Now the battery is back to its best.

Sent using iCafe app

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Doing a factory reset on the iPhone does not (as many people think it does) wipe everything away.

The files are simply moved to another area on the flash memory for temporary storage. These moved files will eventually be written over however..

They can still be accessed via SSH and SQL..

I believe (but I may be wrong) that if you enter DFU mode and do a complete wipe and restore using iTunes (no backup and / or restore backup selected) that this method does in fact completely wipe ALL data away unlike simply selecting restore from the iPhone settings.

Hope this made sense!

6. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Thanks! I really appreciate this response. I should probably do DFU restore periodically.

Thanks for the response man.

7. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Your welcome :)

Sent using iCafe app