Clear Google Maps cache?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been getting some odd displays with Google Maps recently. Basically, at certain zoom levels, large sections of the map will not load, and instead displays a small square of the map tiled repeatedly across the screen. Usually zooming in or out further will give a complete map, but not necessarily at the zoom level you want then. And zooming back in brings back the tiles.

"hard closing" maps and "hard power cycle" of the phone doesn't help.

It's really annoying and it's getting worse.

Is there any way to clear out cache on Google maps without jailbreaking? This is a stock 1.1.2 phone.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It could be that whatever zoom level you are at google maps doesn't have the detail needed to go that low. I know if you zoom in too far on the google maps website it will give you those tiles and say "cannot zoom this far" or something like that. Does it do this for you everywhere or just in certain areas?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
It could be that whatever zoom level you are at google maps doesn't have the detail needed to go that low. I know if you zoom in too far on the google maps website it will give you those tiles and say "cannot zoom this far" or something like that. Does it do this for you everywhere or just in certain areas?
Good suggestion. When this happens with mine it is because I am trying to get in close enough to see who is in my pool with my wife. ;-) You might have found the cause for it in my case.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, there's no way to do it, so I restored. My first restore in several months of ownership. Went smoothly, resolved the issue.

They should make a way to do that without wasting a half hour of one's life.