clearing cache?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
When I clear cache in Safari, what exactly does that do? Is there any benefit to doing this on a semi-regular basis? I'd love to get your feedback.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If I'm not mistaken, its when you log in to a website, and for example, you open up a new page, and when you go back to the 1st page, it'll keep you signed in.

I'm sure thats probably not all cache is though.

I did a quick WikiPedia of it, and it basically is temporary data that is stored, that is most likely going to be used again... So when you clear cache, it deletes that info.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
If I'm not mistaken, its when you log in to a website, and for example, you open up a new page, and when you go back to the 1st page, it'll keep you signed in.

I'm sure thats probably not all cache is though.

I did a quick WikiPedia of it, and it basically is temporary data that is stored, that is most likely going to be used again... So when you clear cache, it deletes that info.
The login thing is Cookies. Cache temporarily stores pages so they load faster.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
so im assuming it's best not to delete them
Depends. If you go to a handful of sites regularly, the pages will load faster if you keep the cache.

However, if you want to cover your tracks, so not all of the old sites that you visited come up (see the thread where someone wants to access "adult" sites), then clearing up the cache might be a good idea!