Clearing confusion regarding upgrades from 8 to 16GB

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I ran across a lot of confusion on the various boards about moving from an 8GB to a 16GB iPhone.

Basically, you can't take your old sim from you 8GB and just stick it into the 16GB iPhone. It doesn't work that way. Instead, you activate using the new sim and iTunes as usual, but telling it that you are an existing customer. AT&T will NOT "re-start" your 2-year contract. They back date it to when your original iPhone contract started, although you won't see any mention of this during the activation process.

Here's a good link for more information, quoting AT&T corporate.

You can do this two ways:

Restore the iPhone with your old phones sim in the new phone. After the restore, you will be prompted to restore from a previous backup.

Or

Activate the iPhone via iTunes keeping the sim that the iPhone came with in the phone during the activation. It will not activate with the old sim in the iPhone.

It is true that you won't start a new 2 year contract, AT&T has issued a statement saying as much.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Can you swap out an 8gb for a 16gb? I bought mine a while ago. I would love to trade up.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I ran across a lot of confusion on the various boards about moving from an 8GB to a 16GB iPhone.

Basically, you can't take your old sim from you 8GB and just stick it into the 16GB iPhone. It doesn't work that way. Instead, you activate using the new sim and iTunes as usual, but telling it that you are an existing customer. AT&T will NOT "re-start" your 2-year contract. They back date it to when your original iPhone contract started, although you won't see any mention of this during the activation process.

Here's a good link for more information, quoting AT&T corporate.

well in that case i can wait another year for an upgrade...i meen that makes sense to release upgrade versions of the iPhone at the end of a two-year contract...but you know Apple, they got to do whatever they can to stay ahead of the game

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me

Basically, you can't take your old sim from you 8GB and just stick it into the 16GB iPhone.
if i have a 4gb currently, does it work the same way? i don't know why it wouldn't, I am just making sure because you never know with Apple/AT&T:p