Click here if you are annoyed with the screen flipping the wrong way while lying down

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
This has annoyed me for years. Now that Apple has fixed all the major annoyances like copy/paste and MMS, I think it's time for us to start pushing this fix. Here are some creative ways I have thought up to keep the screen from flipping to landscape when you're lying down:

1. Add the option that if you hold two fingers on the screen while you rotate it, the phone will keep from rotating the screen.
2. Add a "Disable accelerometer" option in Settings.
3. Add the option that double clicking the home button manually rotates the screen the opposite way the accelerometer is telling it to rotate.

Please click here to go to Apple's iPhone feature request page and request this fix.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've been hoping for this feature for a long time, and your post reminded me about it. I sent feedback to Apple - thanks.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I also sent feedback...this is my number one gripe about it in this usage scenario.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah it is annoying. It would be nice if there was a universal "swipe" like you said, that would change from portrait to landscape and vice versa. Then it would either work or not work in certain apps depending on if they support landscaper or not. Maybe even a popup could tell you that landscape isn't supported in this app (kinda like the "nothing to undo" popup).

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This is a valid gripe and that was one of the first things I submitted to Apple while on the beta, though I told them they need to have a lock option for portrait and landscape so it's not always switching from one to the other when you slightly tilt your hands.

Just ignore the smart ass comment below your OP.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I sent them multiple requests for this feature over the past year. We shouldn't have to jailbreak for this. It's psychotic flipping is annoying as hell.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
i like the disable option for automatic rotation. how about go one step further and add a sensitivity slider too?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Maybe a little lock icon in the corner of the screen, like some apps have already, that you tap and the screen stays in either landscape or portrait--whichever it's on when you lock it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe a little lock icon in the corner of the screen, like some apps have already, that you tap and the screen stays in either landscape or portrait--whichever it's on when you lock it.
That would be nice, but I'd settle for a toggle in settings.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'd just like to see Apple license SBSettings from its creator and make it (or a good derivation) part of the official iPhone firmware.